Writing Task Saved- Afrah Mohsin

Something that saved me in high school was joining the co-leader advisor class. I got into this class because one of my 10th-grade teachers nominated me as the instructor of this class. During that summer I got an email from them saying that I was selected to co-leader advisor class. At that time, I was in between wanting to stay in and opting out of it. Because I know that I didn’t have a leadership quality, but I wanted to experience it. in 11th grade, I took this class, and we met three times every week. This class was all about teaching us leadership skills, like communication and decision-making. We also did team-building activities and involved creative thinking.  A few times we would be paired in groups of two, me and my partner would go to the 10th or 9th grade and practice what we learned in our class. we would play games with them, give instructions, and answer any questions they have about 11th grade. 

This class affected my academics because I started to participate and take a leadership role in my other classes. This class decreased my nervousness about speaking and sharing my thoughts and ideas. before I participated in this class I always liked to work alone, but then I discovered that I enjoy working in groups, especially small groups. Something that I liked about the class is that everyone was so understanding and supportive, while I gave instructions, they would ask me to repeat anything that they didn’t hear, and they asked so many questions to keep the conversation going. My government teacher who is the same person who taught this class had an important role in my academic success because she knows that I am not a talkative person. something I liked about her is that she wouldn’t put me in the spot instead she would just ask me if I have anything to add to whatever the conversation was. A skill I learned from this class is leading and teaching others. I have always been so scared of taking leadership roles because I struggled with speaking out loud, however, this class helped me get over my anxiety. The group activities helped me a lot where we taught each other something new about ourselves.

3 thoughts on “Writing Task Saved- Afrah Mohsin”

1. Hi Afrah, I completely understand you and I also have had trouble speaking in front of others and being open about working with large groups. But I found it really cool that you were able to overcome these challenges due to being a part of this group. Overall you got to gain leadership skills that can help you in your everyday life.

2. Good beginning — NOW can you develop a few scenes? So for example:

You write: I discovered that I enjoy working in groups, especially small groups. Something that I liked about the class is that everyone was so understanding and supportive, while I gave instructions, they would ask me to repeat anything that they didn’t hear, and they asked so many questions to keep the conversation going. — CAN YOU SHOW me this scene and the conversation? Show me how you slowly conquered your nervousness and gained confidence. Where were you standing? infront of the class? Who were the other students? What were you saying? What questions did they ask? How did you feel?