RAB Source Entry 2- Jacob.b

Source Entry 2

Part 1 MLA Citation – 

Alderman, Naomi. “Weightlifting Could Change Your Life.” The Guardian, 13 June 2011. The Guardian, https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/jun/13/weightlifting-could-change-your-life.

Part 2 Summary – 

In the article “Weightlifting could change your life” the author talks about how weight training is able to transform the body and mind. Naomi Alderman says that she is able to raise a hefty metal weight and finds in herself that she enjoys doing it. She also stated that developing physical strength is something worth embracing. The author quotes Shauna Reid the author of “The Amazing adventures of Dietgirl” when Reid said that she enjoys the peacefulness of lifting weights and that although she is getting in better shape the main advantage was feeling empowered. Reid also said that it made her realize she was stronger and skilled then what she had believe to be. Alderman states that strength training stabilizes and reinforces bones reducing the risk of injuries and the consequences of growing older. That this will make you feel fantastic today and avoid issues in the future. The author also noticed that both blood pressure and heart rate decreased. Throughout this article Alderman expresses that she had seen this transformation happen to her. 

Part 3 Refection – 

In “Weightlifting could change your life” Alderman makes it clear that weightlifting can transform a person’s health. I agree with the information that was presented because I have experienced the transformation myself. I realized that I am not alone when it comes to enjoying picking up metal weights and as well as enjoying the feeling of doing the movement. I have personally experience feeling at peace while weightlifting by seeing my body getting into better shape and while at the same time the feel of getting even stronger. This feeling has an impact on my ego making me feel good about myself for becoming stronger by pushing me to limits I didn’t know I can reach. Since I am still young, I haven’t really experienced any problems with my bones or any health problems, but I have been told by my family and friends that it’s a good thing that I train because I can avoid those problems later in my life. I personally believe that this transformation can happen to anyone who shows like exertion. 

Part 4 Rhetorical Analysis – 

“Weightlifting could change your life” by Naomi Alderman is an opinion article posted on The Guardian. The author’s chose of writing style is factual. The author uses a reasonable tone. Alderman uses pathos in the writing by showing her personal experiences of weightlifting. The author’s intended audience is the general public, and the purpose is to inform. Naomi Alderman has won the Orange Award for New Writers and was named Sunday Times Young Writer of the Year and has written many books. The Guardian has 84% of its readers agree that they trust what they see. It is rated one of the most trustworthy online UK newspapers. It also has The Press Award for Newspaper of the Year. 

Part 5 Notable Quotables – 

“But I can pick up an easily graspable heavy metal object, lift it slowly and then put it down again. Not only can I do it: I find I love it. I won’t deny that some of the appeal is in the symbolism. Getting physically stronger feels like something worth embracing” (Naomi Alderman) (Par.2-3)

“It’s hard work but it’s simple, honest exertion. It helped tone me up, but the greater benefit was the feeling of empowerment. Weight training helped me like my own body instead of aspiring to someone else’s.” And, she adds, “It made me see I was strong, and capable of so much more than I’d thought.” (Naomi Alderman) (Shauna Reid) (Par.3)

“When you do your first pull-up, or push-up, it’s an incredible feeling of accomplishment,” she says. “You start to feel like maybe you could do anything. You also conquer fear and apprehension. Getting underneath a heavy bar can be terrifying.” (Naomi Alderman) (Krista Scott-Dixon) (Par.6)

“But resistance exercise strengthens bones and stabilises joints, helping to prevent injury and the effects of ageing. Our bones and joints have to last us a lifetime” (Naomi Alderman) (Par.7)

“My blood pressure went down and so did my resting heart rate.” (Naomi Alderman) (Par.8)

2 thoughts on “RAB Source Entry 2- Jacob.b”

1. Hey Jacob, I really like your topic about weightlifting! I think your summary gave me a good understanding about the article. I think your reflection is well put together. You mention a lot of your own experience and what others like your family tell you about your weightlifting. It tells me you have a great connection with your topic weightlifting.

2. You have missed MIs. This piece is about Women’s Health so where are the MIs that pertain to women’s health? There are many other points missing. THis is NOT a long or difficult article. You should be able to write a better summary!

This is NOT an opinion piece! If you are taking the option that your second source is NOT an opinion piece, then you must ABSOLUTELY correctly identify the genre of your piece!

Your REflection coiuld have been written without reading the article. Connect to one of the MIs of the article. Reflect on the ideas from the writer!