Writing task resilience — Leslie

My working outline (still continuing on it)

Part 1 intro: Write about my dislike for math.

Part 2: Will I be able to overcome my struggle in math?

Part 3: Write about my parents helping me with the school work on late nights

Part 4: Write about the tutor I had

Part 5: Write about how I felt once my tutor left (the dialogue I had with my mother)

Part 6: Write about how I was put in an after-school program

Ending: I was able to have average grades in math. (I describe a scene of when report cards came out)

Ever since the beginning of my school life, I have had a struggle in the subject of math. My parents always tried to help me out. Whenever I asked him to or whenever they saw me struggling with the schoolwork. At one point my parents got me a tutor to help me. My tutor would come to my house 2 sometimes 3 times a week for about an hour. I did feel like I was learning well. But all of a sudden she stopped coming one day. I remember saying this to my mother the day the tutor stopped coming “Hey Mom where is Lauren? I have math homework to do and I also have to review for an upcoming test this week.” (funny short story: I didn´t know how to pronounce her name so I used to call her Laura instead of Lauren) My mother said, “I’m not sure if she will come today. After all, she said she was planning to move to another state but I am not exactly sure when that was going to happen.” I was shocked. I did not know what I was going to do. Yes, I was improving in math but I felt like I was not really there yet. But my parents told me not to worry. ” We will help you with the schoolwork in the meantime. ” said my mom. My dad then stepped in and said, ” Don’t worry your mother and I will find a solution. Remember there is always a solution to any problem. Yes it may be hard to find or it will take some time to get there but eventually, the problem will be resolved.” I was glad that my parents still helped me with this struggle I had in math class.

About a month passed by until my mother told me something that my school was offering. ” Leslie, did you know that your school is offering this program after school? The program is to help students who have trouble with their homework. The goal is to help anyone who is struggling with their work.” my mother said. “Oh yeah, my teacher gave everyone this paper and said that we had to give it to our parents,” I said as I was taking it out from my bag. My mother took the paper and read it. She signed it and gave it to me so I could turn it in tomorrow to the teacher.

The after-school program started 2 weeks later and honestly, it did help me a lot to improve my math skills. By the time report cards came out I saw my math grade while my parents were looking at my report card. All 3 of us sat there looking at it. I was happy to see my grade for math. Although it wasn’t the best grade it was still something. Math is the only subject I had a struggle with during my elementary and middle school years.

1 thought on “Writing task resilience — Leslie”

1. Leslie:

From your outline, you might be trying to cover TOO MUCH — too large a span of time without a specific focus. Can you focus on one thing?

SO would you choose your struggle with Math? (sounds like it’s the Resilience Choice)

OR — would you choose to focus on your struggle with Pandemic schooling?

OR — would you focus on the senior year (what was your hardship that year? were you failing and at risk of graduation?) and the teacher who saved you? (This could be Resilience Choice. How would this be saved? Was the teacher the “thing” that saved you? Was it a club that the teacher led? Remember in Colin Powell’s essay, we read how the ROTC club saved him. You need to be clear what saved you.)

THEN — in this HW (read instructions carefully!), you need to show me a scene or a scene with dialogue that you are putting into your rough draft.