Mentor Text Analysis of Feature Article — Edwin

Berliner, Wendy. “’Schools Are Killing Curiosity’: Why We Need to Stop Telling Children to Shut up and Learn.” The Guardian, Guardian News and Media, 28 Jan. 2020, https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jan/28/schools-killing-curiosity-learn. 

Wendy Berliner hooks the audience by using theater of the mind by creating a scene for us to see. Berliner uses research from the University of Michigan CS Mott Children’s Hospital and the Center for Human Growth and Development to explain the curiosity in 6,200 children. The author gives their take on how children ask many questions and should continue to ask questions. The article contains many images including children and teachers. Berliner structured her feature article by creating a scene, followed by research from the University of Michigan CS Mott Children’s Hospital, she creates her statement on children’s curiosity, and she comes to an end by providing a quote. The article is about a thousand words long. The primary audience of this feature article is teachers, school administrators, policymakers, and primarily parents. The article concludes with a quote from Paul Howard-Jones, professor of neuroscience and education at Bristol University. The author’s message is to advocate for a shift in the way we think about education. I would try to incorporate my research into my work. For example, I would use the article’s clear and concise writing style, I would try to adopt a similar tone in my writing and create similar scenes for my article. I would avoid including irrelevant information in my project that could distract the reader from the main message. Additionally, I would pay attention to the tone of my writing, ensuring that it is professional and appropriate for the intended audience.

1 thought on “Mentor Text Analysis of Feature Article — Edwin”

1. OK! GOOD WORK here!

Good that you noted there are images that go with a feature piece. So find some visuals to accompany your feature article. Think of this as appearing in a magazine, so you will include a few visuals. One of the conventions of a feature piece is strong visual elements. SO pictures, graphs, something to help along with the words.

Remember too a feature piece does not have to be persuasive; it can just present the research facts. However depending on the research you choose to show in your article, you can persuade the reader. This feature piece does just that. The author shares research and that research definitely shows that curiosity is being suppressed in young students.

Good here: The author’s message is to advocate for a shift in the way we think about education. AND I WOULD ADD….a shift towards encouraging questions…

Notice that a feature piece often has a circular structure. IT starts and ends with the same image or point. DOES SCHOOLS KILL CURIOSITY have this circular structure? THINK ABOUT STRUCTURE — this can help you in writing your own feature piece. Does the ending quote from Howard-Jones point back to the way the article started?