Project Proposal —Alexis Rodriguez

My research question will be “What are the potential causes and consequences of a military conflict between China and the US over Taiwan, and how could it affect global security and stability?”

My message: I want to teach my audience there are significantly higher tensions now between the U.S and China, and how it has led up to that including a brief history. With that, I would love to inform my audience about a disruption in global security, stability, trade & supply. All these can be covered as they all intersect with one another. Also, who would be joining this war. And possible scenarios for what may happen after the war.

Audience: The audience I’m targeting is Students & Educators as they will better benefit from geopolitical and economic factors. In which they can use said knowledge to become better citizens and to hopefully inspire them to inform others since they will have a broad reach. Which will then inspire others to vote or have a call to action in terms of dire consequences of this subject. Which then policy makers and the government can be informed.

Genre: My genre will most likely be a Ted Talk due to the fact that Ted Talks forces the speaker to keep things short and simplify complex ideas and information. To keep things clear and allow for engagement from the audience which will keep the audience’s attention. With Ted Talks I can also use slides, videos, and graphics to illustrate key points. This will all allow for the audience to be informed more efficiently and I will then contribute to helping the citizens be aware on a subject that can soon affect them significantly.

Plan: My plan is that I will start off the Ted Talk with describing a scenario to people which will direct them to think of an answer one way but the real answer is something vastly different. I can’t spoil too much. Then it will lead to historical context then push the talk to modern day. I will talk about the importance of each country and why it’s so important as we depend on each of these countries and we may not even realize it. But also how a war with the United States and China will affect us, not just by trade but by China bringing the War to the Homefront of the United States.

Concerns: I don’t have much concerns, really my only concern is accidentally leaving out a vital detail that people should know about. Other than that I’m not worried, stressed or even scared. While doing a Ted Talk is new to me, that’s exactly why I chose it so I can learn from it.

Mentor text: My Mentor Text will be “Kathryn Kolbert: The end of Roe v. Wade — and what comes next for reproductive freedom | TED Talk.” This is because, Kolbert not only is approaching a subject that has to do with politics, specifically inner US politics. But also, they go further into detail talking about the case, quickly getting the attention of their audience, the inclination to talk further about the subject about how it will further be affected.

3 thoughts on “Project Proposal —Alexis Rodriguez”

1. AJ — can you add some thing that Alexis could do better or give him some ideas to think about? Remember you need to give meaningful feedback to your peers.

1. I can see that you are thinking here.

NOW — Why is your audience students and teachers? Why would educators and students need to know about China Taiwan and global security? Why would they need to know about global affairs? What could they do to change — besides write their political leaders…then are political leaders your audience?

What is this contradictory question you are planning to lead off with?