RAB source entry #1-Jason

My research question is “What were the historical events and circumstances that lead to the current Ukraine-Russia conflict?

Source entry #1 

Part 1: MLA Citation  

Masters, Jonathan. “Ukraine: Conflict at the Crossroads of Europe and Russia.” Council on Foreign Relations, Council on Foreign Relations, 14 Feb. 2023, https://www.cfr.org/backgrounder/ukraine-conflict-crossroads-europe-and-russia#chapter-title-0-1.

Part 2: Summary 

The article examines the conflict between Ukraine and Russia, examining its historical, political, and economic roots. It conveys complex geopolitical developments taking place, including Ukraine’s alignment with the West and Russia’s strategic interests in the region. The article also dives into the humanitarian impact of the conflict, including massive loss of life, displacement, and economic hardship for people in both countries. Overall, the statement highlights the need for an immediate peaceful resolution of the crisis, as well as the importance of international efforts to support the Ukrainian people and promote stability and security in the region.

Part 3: Reflection 

As someone who has a Ukrainian background, I found the article to be an incredibly useful and interesting resource. The article provided me facts and informed me on past events that were detailed, I did not know about. The author made it easy to understand the article where he used names section on what he is going to write about. One significant quote that stood out to me was the statement that “Following the 2022 invasion, U.S. and NATO allies dramatically increased defense, economic, and humanitarian assistance to Ukraine, as well as ramped up their sanctions on Russia.” This has made me happy of all things to see a country and international organization helping my country. Even though they are not able to defend due to international policy, I understand but I am still glad that they are helping in some way. Overall, this article has increased my understanding of the conflict between Ukraine and Russia. It has left me with multiple questions about the future of my country. 

Part 4: Rhetorical Analysis 

The author’s tone is objective and unbiased, focusing on only the facts rather than expressing personal opinions or emotions. The intended audience of the article appears to be the general public, particularly those interested in their countries background or people who are interested in international affairs/world politics. The genre of the article is news that includes historical events to inform people about past events. Jonathan Masters leads writers and editors who produce wide-ranging content for CFR.org, including Backgrounders, visual stories, and events. He also writes on foreign policy and national security and his work has appeared in Foreign Affairs, the Atlantic, and Bloomberg. He is a term member of CFR and a member of the Overseas Press Club. The CFR is a neutral organization that aims to provide resources to help people understand foreign policy decisions. Its audience includes individuals, journalists, leaders, and citizens.

Part 5: Notable Quotables 

“Russia’s invasion of Ukraine in February 2022 marked a dramatic escalation of the eight-year-old conflict that began with Russia’s annexation of Crimea and signified a historic turning point for European security.” Paragraph 2

“More than fourteen thousand people died in the fighting in the Donbas between 2014 and 2021, the bloodiest conflict in Europe since the Balkan Wars of the 1990s.” Paragraph 6

“And it was Christianity that served as the anchor for Kievan Rus, the early Slavic state from which modern Russians, Ukrainians, and Belarussians draw their lineage.” Paragraph 9 

5 thoughts on “RAB source entry #1-Jason”

1. Jason I love the sentence structure you’ve presented in your summary. It gives me a brief overview with Russia and Ukraine. By reading The article of your selection it had also explains to me and now I’ve learned how Ukraine gained independence from the Soviet Union.! I love how you’ve structured your reflection and rhetorical analysis. I’ll definitely use your structure to make mine a lot more better!

2. Jason I love the sentence structure you’ve presented in your summary. It gives me a brief overview with Russia and Ukraine. By reading The article of your selection it had also explains to me and now I’ve learned how Ukraine gained independence from the Soviet Union.! I love how you’ve structured your reflection and rhetorical analysis. I’ll definitely use your structure to make mine a lot more better!

3. Your summary captures the main points of the article and your reflection on the piece is insightful, especially as someone with a Ukrainian background. Your analysis of the author’s tone, intended audience, genre, and credibility provides a good understanding. The notable quotables greatly highlight some of the key issues discussed in the article. Keep up the good work Jason, I’m looking foward to your finished assignment.

4. Jason, You write well and clearly – this is a strong point for you. The only thing is that often you write in a very general way and sparse way. So for instance in the Reflection, I would like to read something that has more of a personal angle. I would like to know what you think as a Ukrainian. And in the Summary you can give a few more specific Supporting Details. 

Summary:

·     Your summary is a little too general for my taste. I would give a few of the specific MI’s. In fact if you look at the top of the article, it starts with some bullet points that are specific MI’s. (Main Ideas)

·     HINT – If an article has subheadings, use the subheads to find one main point in each subhead section. Then gather those points together to become your summary. SO in the CFR article, the subheadings are: Why is Ukraine a geopolitical flashpoint? What are Russia’s broad interests? … There are 8 subheadings. You don’t have to give a point for each subheading section, but you should give a few of these Mis.

·     First sentence in a summary needs title author MI – remember?

Reflection:

·     You say you have a â€śUkrainian background” can you be more clear: Tell me exactly what you mean:  Are you born in Ukraine? Are you born in America to Ukrainian parents? Where is your family hometown in Ukraine? Do identify as Ukrainian. How do you feel about Russia’s intervention/war?

·     Can you make this more interesting and more personal. I mean you are a Ukrainian. From the standpoint of a Ukrainian, what did you not know before you read this article? Or did you know everything about Ukraine’s conflict with Russia. And if you are Ukrainian, why didn’t you know these things.   

·     Then –“It has left me with multiple questions about the future of my country.” GIVE ME A FEW Qs. 

·     WHY did you select this article? After all this is your own find (I didn’t find it for you – in fact you are very independent and this is another strength in you), so tell me why this article struck you as a good choice. Do you know the Council for Foreign Relations? Is that why you chose it? Tell me why you chose this article.

Rhet Analysis:

particularly those interested in their countries background (WHOSE country? WHAT country? Ukraine, right? SO make that clear.

What does CFR stand for?

I am not sure you are correct on the genre. Is this a news piece? Did the invasion just happen? Is there something that is reported as current? I think this is a feature piece.

Pathos Ethos or Logos: What is rhetorical appeal does Masters use?

Quotables:

Each quote should have a parenthetical citation at the end.

Put the words here  (Masters par 4).

5. SUMMARY: I think your summary would be fine if the article was short. But when I take a look at the article I see it is long with 8 or 9 subheadings. Can you add just a few more supporting details to your summary by looking at the subheading titles and finding a main point for a few of these subheadings.

The point to writing a summary in an RAB is that this is for YOUR benefit. YOu want to be able to look back at your RAB summary and know exactly what that article is about. And when I read your summary it feels like it is just touching the surface of the article. I would have to look again at the article to remember what is in there. Does this make sense to you?