RAB source entry #1: Andre

My research question is: Should Puerto Rico become the 51st state? This topic interests me because I am half Puerto Rican, I have a huge family in the country of Puerto Rico and we all know that there is much to love about Puerto Rico. The island itself Everyone loves to take a vacation there with variety of activities to do such as discovering new rain forests. Visiting a country that is so beautiful, representing determination and resilience despite its tragic hurricanes time and time. The culture sets a tone on why it’s one of the most loving countries with food choices, music and many more.  I would like to dive in more in-depth on why should Puerto Rico become the 51st state?. What benefits can Puerto Rico receive into becoming the 51ststate?. Who is responsible for interfering in Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state? I already know that Puerto Rico is owned by the United States. I know that the country of Puerto Rico however can not vote in presidential elections. I know that Puerto Rico also relies on The U.S currency. In addition to Some points that I plan to explore and find out more about are what are the pro’s and con’s of Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state. Political representation and opportunities. Another point I would like to discover more about is who are the blame to resisting Puerto Rico into becoming a state? Why can’t the citizens agree with each other and become a whole to allow Puerto Rico in gaining statehood.

Source Entry # 1:

Part 1: MLA CITATION

Bickerton, James. “ Could Puerto Rico Become a U.S. State”? December 22nd, 2022 at (12:23 PM EST).

https://www.newsweek.com/could-puerto-rico-become-us-state-1769118

Part 2: Summary 

Newsweeks reporter James bickerton writes a report about the possibilities on could Puerto Rico become a  U.S State?. Bickerton explains the possibilities on how can Puerto Rico become a state. In addition to several debates and challenges surrounding Puerto Ricans citizens and U.S lawmakers in making Puerto Rico a state. Describing the roles both Democratic and Republican parties played in the decision. Bickerton included the following.  “Article IV of the Constitution, which deals with the creation of new states, says: “New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State.  Nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.” In addition Florida GOP Senator Marco Rubio is a longstanding supporter of Puerto Rican statehood. In a 2018 statement he commented: “I support the right of our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico to seek admission to the union as a state. I will continue working on our strategy of building support in the Senate and creating the conditions necessary to achieve the 60 votes needed for success.”

Part 3: Reflection

I agree with the information that Bickerton presents because the Statehood for Puerto Rico is widely supported by the Democratic Party. With the support from the Democratic Party I strongly believe it is possible for Puerto Rico in  becoming a U.S state. “Statehood for Puerto Rico is widely supported within the Democratic Party with 216 House Democrats backing the Puerto Rico Status Act, which could lead to statehood, earlier this month.” What benefits can Puerto Rico receive if they are a state?  I have a few questions I would like to ask Bickerton. In What ways can this News piece help Republican Party members agree with the Democratic Party to enable the act of establishing Puerto Rico as a state?. Why are the Republican Party in denial of justifying Puerto Rico as a state?. What I do not understand is why the Trump administration’s did not approve the voting on whether Puerto Rico should be a state or not. What I would like to tell Bickerton is why did you not include enough details as to why the Trump administration did not approve the voting decisions on Puerto Rico becoming a state? Did Trump himself create a negative image reflecting towards the topic of allowing Puerto Rico to gain statehood?  This source tells me why Puerto Rico should become the 51st state. with the support from the Democratic Party and also with one of the Republican parties from Texas that they can enable the act on Puerto Rico becoming the 51st state.

Part 4: Rhetorical Analysis

Bickerton writing style is informative The purpose of this news feature is to inform.. Bickertons intended audience is the citizens of Puerto Rico, the citizens of the United States, Congress and the legislative branch  to get a better understanding on could Puerto Rico become a U.S State. “ Could Puerto Rico become a U.S State” Bickerton choice of genre is an News feature article. This genre is affective as Bickerton’s purpose of the news feature  is to describe the impact the voting poll, supporters of the decision making of could Puerto Rico become a U.S State. Bickerton sources are credible because he is a Newsweek U.S. News reporter based in London, U.K. His focus is covering U.S. politics and world politics. He has covered the intersection between politics and emerging technology, such as artificial intelligence. He is also a graduate from University of Oxford. 

Part 5: Notable Quotable’s

Paragraph 3:  “In November 2020, 53 percent of Puerto Ricans voted in favor of becoming a U.S. state in a non-binding referendum, with 47 percent against it. The vote, which was not approved by the Trump administration, had a turnout of only 55 percent”.

Paragraph 9: “I support the right of our fellow Americans in Puerto Rico to seek admission to the union as a state. I will continue working on our strategy of building support in the Senate and creating the conditions necessary to achieve the 60 votes needed for success”. (Florida GOP Senator Marco Rubio is a longstanding supporter of Puerto Rican statehood)

Paragraph 12: endorsed statehood for Puerto Rico ahead of the 2020 presidential election, describing it as “the most effective means of ensuring that residents of Puerto Rico are treated equally” (Joe Biden)

6 thoughts on “RAB source entry #1: Andre”

1. I like this entry Andre. I also agree that Puerto Rico should become a state. I feel like the summary just has to much information, I feel like the summary should just be a overall overview of the article, who supports this, which sides support this, who doesn’t support this, etc. I feel like the quotes can go into the reflection part. Also if I can add one more question to the author: If Puerto Rico is a US territory, why not make it a US state?

2. Andre

Much better revised version of your proposal, and now you have turned it into your RAB Introduction – good job – YAYY!

Citation:

Should be all together. Why is there a space gap between the article citation and the URL? Close it up.

Summary:

1.    Fix fragments! There are many to find and fix. Review the resources on Fragments on Grammar Writing Skills page. Work with TUTORS.

·      Here are TWO fragments in a row: In addition to several debates and challenges surrounding Puerto Ricans citizens and U.S lawmakers in making Puerto Rico a state. Describing the roles both Democratic and Republican parties played in the decision. Bickerton included the following.

2.    Need a bit more of the SD (supporting details): You mention “several debates” so give one specific debate.

3.    Good idea to use quote from the Constitution! But after the quote you should tell me how Article IV being debated in regard to PR? SO — What is the hold up in Congress (Senator and House)?  What does the article say about how political leaders today are for – or – against statehood?  That’s an important Supporting Detail from the article. You mention that Rubio(who is a Republican) is for statehood, so who is against and what is happening in congress that is holding PR back?  Doesn’t the article say? Democrats!

I think a few, just a few, of the MI’s are missing. Can you go back over the article? 

·     HINT – If an article has subheadings, use the subheads to find one main point in each subhead section. Then gather those points together to become your summary. 

·     Here are the subheadings: How could PR become a US State? Who supports PR statehood? and more.

Reflection:

Good!

Rhetorical Analysis:

Is this really a news piece? Is this being debated RIGHT NOW in congress? Look at the beginning. “Last week” — so it is a news piece (however it’s dated december 2022), but Not news-feature piece – which one? BE clear.

Add a fact on the magazine Newsweek to show credibility. Google it!

Quotes:

Follow the proper format. Look at examples.

The words go here  (author paragraph #)

3. Rhetorical ANalysis:

I think you could write: At the time of this article’s writing, this was current news. The House of REp had just passed the PR Status Act. SO this is a news piece.

4. Your source entry is good. I think you should go over your work again. I believe the question in the first sentence of your summary should be in quotation marks: “Could Puerto Rico Become a US State?” There are also a lot of unnecessary periods after question marks in your writing.

5. Andre: I read the article. And I found a very interesting SD supporting detail: According to Bickerton’s reporting, the Republicans do not favor statehood for PR bc PR likely would be a democratic leaning state and it would create two more Senate seats and possibly more House seats that would be Democratic and thus making the Democrats more powerful in Congress. WOw this issue is so so political!

GO back and read the article — may be you could react to that in your Reflection!