Reading Response to Malcolm X —Bithiah

Part A

Part B

“When I had progressed to really serious reading, every night at about ten P.M. I would be outraged with the “lights out.” It always seemed to catch me right in the middle of something engrossing.

Fortunately, right outside my door was a corridor light that cast a glow into my room. The glow was enough to read once my eyes adjusted to it. So when “lights out” came, I would sit on the floor where I could continue reading in that glow,” (paragraph 12).

The first sentence shows how upset Malcolm gets when it is time for the lights to go out. In the second sentence, Malcolm explains that the lights out interrupt him when he is in an interesting part of his book. In the third and fourth sentences, Malcolm shares the strategies he uses to read when the lights go out which shows how dedicated he was. The fifth sentence shows that the strategies he produced worked for him. Malcolm persisted in the face of setbacks.

5 thoughts on “Reading Response to Malcolm X —Bithiah”

1. I like the way you broke down the quote you chose and explained his frustrations whenever it was time for the lights to go out and what he did in order to read his books no matter the situation he was in.

2. I liked how you interpreted the quote and understood how determined he was even through he had to stop reading and pretend to be sleeping because the cell guards would walk by every hour or so. This quote shows great emphasis on the circumstance he was dealing with, having to read from a dim light after the lights throughout the prison were shut off.

3. I agree with Kevin too I like how you broke down the quote you chose, how he was annoyed when it was time for the lights to go out, and what he did to read his books no matter what.