Reading Response to Malcolm X — Odalys

Part A:

Part B: “For the next years, I was the nearest thing to a hermit in the Norfolk Prison Colony. I never have been more busy in my life. I still marvel at how swiftly my previous life’s thinking pattern slid away from me, like snow off a roof. It is as though someone else I knew of had lived by hustling and crime. I would be startled to catch myself thinking in a remote way of my earlier self as another person.” (Paragraph 10) 

In Malcolm’s following serving years at the Norfolk Prison Colony, he withdrew himself from people and the environment during prison to devote to living in solitude for Islam. He had never felt more productive in his life. Moreover, Malcolm is astonished at how much his personality changed and view of life evolved during his time in prison. He then uses the metaphor “snow off a roof” meaning he felt like his holism had moved along in a smooth transition while still being conscious of the change occurring. Looking back to his old habits and view of life before converting to Islam he felt like his purpose in life was to rob and be a criminal. In sum, Malcolm would have been in disbelief if he ever thought again like how he did before he devoted himself to his religion.  

2 thoughts on “Reading Response to Malcolm X — Odalys”

1. I like that you found the figurative language “snow off the roof” a noteworthy metaphor to use in this HW.

I wonder if actually he is referring to not only a change due to his religious awakening and being a good man but about achange due to learning to read. Defnitely he had a change in his mindset.