Douglass and Resilience -Nason

Part A: “In this dialogue, the whole argument in
behalf of slavery was brought forward by the master, all of which was
disposed of by the slave. The slave was made to say some very smart as
well as impressive things in reply to his master — things which had the
desired though unexpected effect; for the conversation resulted in the
voluntary emancipation of the slave on the part of the master.” Pg 6

Douglass reads a story; In the story, the slave and the slave owner had a debate about slavery. The slave evaluated his ideas well and replied to his owner with intelligent things regarding the topic. The slaveowner decided to free the slave after.

Part B: For many years I have struggled with math. For step-by-step problems, my not understanding one step would lead me to be confused about the whole problem. Also, there would be many formulas and rules to remember. I felt like I would never understand math. When teachers answered my question, I would nod my head and agree but not fully understand.

I would never do well on tests until I found the secret that would change my view forever, studying. I never really studied. Before, I would just quickly glance through what I thought a the time was hard work. Now, I use the internet to help me better understand things and it paid off. Websites like Youtube and Kahn Academy really helped me out and I slowly started getting better at studying and doing math. What I learned is that if you don’t understand something, it isn’t going to take overnight to understand. Learning takes time and you have to put in the effort to do so. Also, you have to stay resilient to give up because they are hard topics out there that are very difficult to learn, and without being resilient, you would never succeed.

3 thoughts on “Douglass and Resilience -Nason”

1. I find myself struggling in the same subject, math. Another thing i can agree with is how important it is to study. Growing up i would never study for upcoming test and would basically wing it, in the moment its not easy to apply all your knowledge, taking a test always made feel nervous in some way but as i grew older, i learned that studying would help me stay confident throughout test and i would try to answer every problem to the best of my ability.

2. EXCELLENT! for both A and B parts — wow you did a nice job explaining in clear and simple and your own words the Douglass passage you chose. And you showed me you got it!

Part B- this is a very good explanation of your math issues and most importantly, What you learned about learning!

Great Job Nason!