Douglass and Resilience-Jason (updated)

Paragraph 1

“From this time, I was most narrowly watched. If I was in a separate room any considerable length of time, I was sure to be suspected of having a book, and was at once called to give an account of myself. All this, however, was too late. The first step had been taken. Mistress, In teaching me the alphabet, had given me the inch, and no precaution could prevent me from taking the ell.” 

Part A 

“From this time I was most narrowly watched.” – The speaker was closely monitored and watched closely. “If I was in a separate room any considerable length of time, I was sure to be suspected of having a book, and was at once called to give an account of myself.” – Whenever the speaker was in a separate room for a significant period of time, they were suspected of having a book and were immediately called to explain their actions. “All this, however, was too late.” – Despite the close surveillance, it was too late to prevent the next step from being taken. “The first step had been taken.” – A significant event had already occurred. “Mistress, in teaching me the alphabet, had given me the inch, and no precaution could prevent me from taking the ell.” – The mistress, by teaching the speaker the alphabet, had started a process that could not be stopped, and the speaker would continue to learn and grow. The phrase “given me the inch, and no precaution could prevent me from taking the ell” is a metaphor meaning that a small act of kindness or opportunity can lead to larger consequences. 

Part B 

One particular challenge I encountered during my educational career was having trouble with math. I’ve always had difficulty understanding math concepts, which caused me to frequently perform poorly on exams. I started to feel frustrated and unclear as a result of this, and I started to doubt my skills in math.

I created a coping mechanism of seeking help from my classmates and teachers in order to strengthen my math skills and get through this obstacle. I discovered that when I asked for assistance, I was able to comprehend the material better and raise my grade. Through this process, I realized how crucial it is to admit when I need extra help.  Additionally, I learned that everyone experiences challenges and that asking for help is a sign of strength rather than weakness. This experience has taught me the value of persistence and the significance of standing by one another when things get challenging.

6 thoughts on “Douglass and Resilience-Jason (updated)”

1. Jason:

Excellent in Part A where I asked you to find a block of quote and interpret iyour own words each sentence written by Douglass.

Part B — You need to read my instructions carefully. YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD. Here again I copy from Announcments:

Two paragraphs, (5-6 sentences each) Think of how Douglass’s experience is an example of resilience (look up the word). As a young man, he practices certain strategies to build resilience in the face of horrendous obstacles. Now turn to your own experience. Paragraph One:  Think of ONE thing that has been hard for you during your own educational journey. Focus on ONE specific hardship. Describe it in some detail. Paragraph Two:  Then write about one coping strategy you’ve developed to increase your resilience.  What have you learned about yourself in practicing this strategy?

*Option to apply this HW3 task to remote learning during the pandemic: Caroline Hellman’s opinion piece argues in favor of classroom learning. Some of you may agree and feel that the online learning experience was difficult. What ONE aspect of remote learning was the most challenging. How did you cope? What strategies did you develop to be resilient?

JASON: EXCELLENT UPDATED REVISED WORK ON PART A — I ADJUSTED YOUR GRADE!

2. I think that was an interesting way of doing Part A. Breaking down each sentence in a quote to truly explain how you thought of Douglass words. However I think that can be improved upon as sometimes it felt as though you would state what the text said and then put your own words slightly at the end. I think that if you took away the first part where you mostly restated and took the end part and put that first you could explain your self in further detail.

3. I never really got why people don’t understand it is the formulas the weird symbols or if you skip a step it give entire answer is wrong. good work on part A you broke up the text making it clear what part your talking about for each part it look very clean.

4. I completely agree, asking for help is not a sign of weakness.

It takes someone with a certain level of understanding to realize that there is nothing wrong with asking for help. It also depends on how humble the person is.