Reading Response RLW – AJ

One of the most important thing I took from that reading was the metaphor that the author used, Bunn stated “When you read like a writer, you are trying
to figure out how the text you are reading was constructed so that you
learn how to “build” one for yourself”. That statement to me was real profound, because in architecture you almost always use other buildings or architecture to inspire your design/creation. Then the word “constructed” was illuminated to me, because, when reading like a writer you wanna break down their construction of paragraph, article, etc. While also understanding the piece, and this showed me how the same way I look at buildings when working in architecture is the same way I can look at articles I’m reading and break them down to pick up skills I admire from the piece.

5 thoughts on “Reading Response RLW – AJ”

1. I like the vocabulary that you use in your response. I also like how you took and found the metaphor in the quote from the story, then for the explanation you compared writing to architecture.

2. When i came across this section where the quote is within the article, i found it interesting because using a simple metaphor as such helped me understand the steps you should take in order to be a successful writer. As an architect you should be able to identify the placement of every component and its purpose of being part of the structure, as a writer you should use strategies like showing emotion through a text which will keep a reader engaged. Two completely different things but they relate due to both requiring a process of fundamentals to be broken down.

3. Your answer is mostly quoting Bunn: “When you read like a writer, you are trying to figure out how the text you are reading was constructed so that you learn how to “build” one for yourself”

OK, so explain in your words what the quote means. AND then in your own words, what is the one thing you have learned from this part on how to RLW?