Professional Advocacy Project

Professional Advocacy Report

Participating in professional organizations or advocacy projects, are vital for the spread of ideas, the flow of energy, and a sense of oneness with follow members of the team or organization. It facilitates trust, and proactive work needed to maintain a healthy profession that advocates for the needs of the public, and the nurses or leaders in the organization. Advocacy spreads awareness, and allows for members to be involved in something that is greater than themselves. The goal of advocacy projects is to educate not only the members involved, but the public and allows for one voice to be heard.

In the Professional Activity that I took part in, myself and members of my Seventh Day Adventist Church participated in a Health Exposition. Being part of the Health and Temperance Committee of my church, myself and a few other nurses of my congregation thought it would be a good idea to do community outreach. On Sunday October 1, 2017 at approximately 9am, we arrived at a local park near our church. A table was set up, and a banner was hung along the side alerting passersby of our presence, who we were, and what we would be doing. We offered free blood pressure, and blood sugar readings, handed out reading materials, and offered bottles of water. The reading material highlighted the importance of adequate rest, eating healthy, and the importance of exercise and water as tips to remain disease free.

As the morning progressed, many individuals stopped to talk with us and have their blood pressure and blood sugar taken. I was personally in charge of that, and made sure they were comfortable and aware that I would be using a lancet which contains a needle to get their blood sugar reading. An older male decided to have his blood pressure taken, as I proceeded to take his blood pressure the number automatically alarmed me. His blood pressure reading was very high and he wasn’t aware of it. As we could do nothing to treat him there, we insisted that he go to the hospital as soon as possible and get it checked out. He said he would immediately, and called his daughter to accompany him there.

I encountered many people that day, who appreciated the literature and advice given. We encouraged many to visit their primary care physicians as soon as possible, and made them aware of the importance of staying on top of their health.

The idea of reaching out to individuals in the community was a great one. My group and I advocated for the public and encouraged them to visit their primary care physician on a regular basis. Many are unaware that they are at risk for developing health conditions, due to poor diet, lifestyles choices, and lack of exercise. It is my hope, that the individuals we spoke to can begin to advocate for themselves and take an active part in the maintenance of their health.