The Bowery Boys Podcast

The 45th episode of The Bowery Boys podcast was a general overview of Grand Central from its start as a Depot to the Current Terminal we see today. Having done three tours of the place, The Bowery Boys didn’t really mention much I hadn’t heard before. For Example, they talk about it being a Depot that had train tracks cutting through bare land with horses and houses in what is now midtown Manhattan. Following that, the first few years in the 1900’s saw the creation and use of Grand Central Station. What was interesting about the Station was its short lifetime. Due to all the smoke blocking the site, there was an eventual train crash that lead to the need of addressing the proximity of the smoke and trains to the city; which lead to the creation of tracks underground. Following that they touched on Grand Central Terminal and its history mentioning things such as it being responsible for introducing electricity to the city and the creation of park avenue after the real estate there was sold. One thing I was unaware of was that the windows inside the Terminal were blacked out during WWII. There were also some things on Vanderbilt’s life that were unknown to me. For instance, The Bowery Boys mentioned that he was in the peak of his success in ferries when he decided to venture off into railroads. In addition to this, I did not know he was 75 years old when he started buying out railroad companies and land to build Grand Central.