GCT Visit with Anthony Robbins

Prior to today’s visit to Grand Central Terminal (GCT), I learned many things I wasn’t aware of. First, I was shocked to learn that though Vanderbilt Hall has been restored back to pristine condition, currently, there still remains a homeless population that calls GCT’s lower level home. Though we didn’t get the opportunity visit the lower level, I can only imagine what that it looks like once the afternoon/evening rush hour dies down. It’s really disheartening to know that a landmark of such grandeur and high regard still encompasses the despair it once tried to get rid of. I would assume living there is a better and safer option than living on the streets or in a homeless shelter. I think Metro-North could possibly eliminate this problem by offering them entry-level employment to those willing to work. I don’t know (shrugs); that actually might be a terrible idea. It’s just a possibility I thought of. Secondly, the symbolism behind Coutan’s statue design made me chuckle inside because it made me question whether a woman’s wisdom/logic might have saved GCT from all these issues and the drama surrounding them. Jaqueline Onassis and her efforts are proof of that, and they could have named more than a foyer in her honor. Thirdly, I found it interesting how the neighboring Yale Club (YC) and its architects had to get architectural design approval from Warren and Wetmore in order to secure its location. I guess that goes to show how much clout the Commodore really had, and that architectural autonomy is worth giving up for prime real estate. If you closely look at the YC’s logo, Vanderbilt’s influence becomes very obvious; YC’s logo bears an uncanny resemblance to GCT’s logo.