Blog Post #3

The film, My Brooklyn, by Kelly Anderson is such an interesting documentary. I believe that all New Yorkers should watch it, yet alone the entire nation. Some parts of the film made me feel very angry because not only does gentrification pushes people out of their neighborhoods, it also pushes away the culture too. Different areas of Brooklyn are abundant with a melting pot of cultures such as Jamaican, Dominican, African and more. Bloomberg mentioned that these changes were “needed” due to our so-called competition with Los Angeles in development and office space. I understand that he wants the best for the city but, he has to consider the lives and well being of the residents in these spaces, as well as the small businesses there. When a place is being gentrified, it’s not the same place is it was before. It loses its’ character. It loses its’ flavor and it’s uniqueness. It will turn into those typical luxury condos and other spots that only the wealthy can afford.

From the film, I learned that “gentry” means “elite” and “upper class”. So that dictates that Downtown Brooklyn (other places too) is inevitably going to be only for the elite. It infuriates me. I can empathize with the locals there, because I definitely wouldn’t want to live in a place only for the elite while my family and friends are being forced to move out. I would want culture and character in my neighborhood. I wish these powerful councilman, government, developers and other powerful people would stop focusing on money because they already have more than necessary. Why can’t they be satisfied with what they have? I wish they would spend their wealth on creating affordable houses so that the citizens can live a fairly comfortable life. If I was wealthy, powerful and influential, I would give back to communities and help the less fortunate.   

Another fact I’ve learned from the film is that these new developments will only cause more segregation within New York. The wealthy, privileged white people will live their lavish and extremely comfortable lives, without a care in the world. Meanwhile, the minorities will lose their sense of culture, friends, family and continue the struggle to survive having the bare minimum. A part of history will also be destroyed and can never be revived again. Significant buildings will be demolished, replaced by luxury apartments and condos.   

I really applaud FUREE’s work in organizing the community and fighting back for their rights and their land. I’m also glad that it’s a grassroots organization so it’s comprised of the locals who are for the-people-by-the-people. The locals shows in the video were just average people, who have a great heart, and an awe-inspiring attitude. This gives me some hope for the future of New York City and the preservation of what’s rightfully the peoples’ choice, not the elite. There probably are more organizations that participates in this issue around New York. I surely hope that justice prevails so that gentrification doesn’t spread throughout the state and eventually, the nation.