Blog Post #4

The film that we saw on Tuesday was called “Citizen Jane: Battle for the City” by Matt Tyrnauer. The film informed us about the journalist and housewife: Jane Jacobs. She was one of the founding activists who organized against the destruction of neighborhoods to build highways. I reacted differently to the various ideals in the film. I agreed with Jacob’s views of the city. She believed that the chaos and the busy life in the streets are all part of the experience. It’s unpredictable and dreams come true here in the city. It’s a bit romanticised, which is how I view the city as well. It’s not perfect but, it’s an amazing place filled with an amazing plethora of culture. The busy blocks with an abundance of people tend to be more safer and more interesting than those that are quiet and empty. I was furious with the the views of Robert Moses, who was a public official. He wanted to build highways in the middle of communities. It’s wrong and immoral because the residents have been living there and contributing to the community for years and to have someone come in and take your home away and force you to move somewhere else. It’s even worse when your home and your community is being replaced with a highway. It’s absolutely absurd.