Blog 3: My Reaction to “My Brooklyn”

The movie, “My Brooklyn” definitely appealed to the most sensitive parts of my inner being. The video focused on a super controversial topic, gentrification, by discussing the redevelopment of Downtown Brooklyn and various Brooklyn neighborhoods. However, I found the interview between Kelly Anderson, a white Brooklyn resident, and Craig Wilder to be the most interesting part of this film because he gave a lot of insight on the issue of Redlining and White Flight. “Redlining is the practice of denying access to credit and financial services to homeowners and prospective home buyers based on the perceived economic riskiness of a neighborhood.” These areas were being considered unworthy of investment and this was determined by the percentage of African-American presence. If an area was more than 5% black it was redlined. Wilder talks about growing up in Bedford-Stuyvesant, a neighborhood in Brooklyn that was also redlined. His family owned a Brownstone home in the neighborhood. While the area was diverse during his mom’s time, in the mid-20th century there was a mass abandonment of white residents (White Flight) due to the lack of economic resources caused by the redlining. White residents that were in a more financially stable position to move out, did just that while Black residents were forced to stay in the area in isolation. The area became known as Do or Die Bed-Stuy. However, because other areas of Brooklyn are now becoming costly, white residents are relocating back to these low-cost neighborhoods. I applaud Kelly Anderson on acknowledging that she is a part of the problem. Though her only goal was to reside in a neighborhood that would allow her to live comfortably on her annual salary, she acknowledged that the change in demographic caused the businesses to change as well. As businesses changed, the cost of rent increased, forcing minority families out. The entire process is very upsetting. Hearing Mayor Bloomberg, developers, and city-planners talk about how these developmental changes are for the betterment of Brooklyn and seeing what it is doing to the communities and those that reside in them, causes me to wonder: What is a “better Brooklyn” in the eyes of these people of power? One with a little minority groups as possible? What is the fate of these minority groups? The whole thought is very sad and unfortunate.