Assignment: Folksonomy: A Game of High-tech (and High-stakes) Tag

I feel the virtual version of me is living in the Internet because all of my information is piled up in the web and it is updated every time as using the Internet. The author of the article, “Folksonomy: A Game of High-tech (and High-stakes) Tag,” Jessica Dye explains many websites are tracking our information and recording.  In these sites, we are classified, examined, and guessed who we are. Our gender, interests, hobbies, characters, and so on, a lot of our information is tagged. Such as Flicker, del.icio.us, Amazon, Jessica Dye talks about the specific examples tagging our information into the Folksonomy.

From my personal experience, Gmail from Google scares me. They put various ads relating with my messages on the screen. For example, when I talked about the airplane to go back to my country, Japan, the ad,”Cheap Flight Tickets from JFK to Tokyo” surprisingly appeared. I hope Google use the automated system of getting specific words from our messages, but I’m afraid of that all of the messages I received and created are kept recording and classified what the person I am. They create my character in the web by tracking all of the messages.

Although we don’t use the social networking site, our information is tracked. Google, and Yahoo are stocking out search history. It’s difficult for us to escape from being classified into folksonomy as long as we use the Internet. We need to know we are living in such a digital era.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.