Assignment: Back to the Coffee House

The author reveals the drastic change of our relationships with the media after the invention of the Internet in his article, “Back to the Coffee House.” The Internet gives a lot of opportunities to get information. Moreover, it is interactive platform to think about the information like the coffee house at which people shared the information and their opinions in the 19th centuries.

Personally, I’m really supported by the Internet. I can easily contact with my family and friends in my country, Japan.  When the catastrophic earthquake occurred there last year, the Internet was the best source of information what was happening there. Even though I had a huge distance, many medias reported the conditions immediately. If I were an international student living in a few decades ago like the printed media and mass communication was the most powerful, I had waited for a long days to get to know the situation with great anxiety.

Moreover, as the author explains the Internet gave us back the bidirectional informative communication like the conversation in the coffee house in the article, Social Networking Site was really useful when the earthquake happened.  Many friends tweeted or wrote in their Facebook about  the area of black out, floods, the evacuation plans and so on. They could share the information and applied to their emergency.

There are a lot of possibilities in the Internet world. To find the information, the Internet is much more quicker and easier than any other medias. Also, we can express our ideas and thoughts and get response from someone because of such a type of communication in old coffee house. We need to adopt and use it efficiently.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Assignment: Back to the Coffee House

1. daniel607 says:

I agree with your idea of the internet being an “interactive platform” to think and discuss information, much like coffee houses back in the day. Even though in coffee houses your physical presence is there and people could express more emotions about what they talked about, the internet is at your service at all times. It is very convenient, and since facebook and twitter are in your phone at all times theres a huge chance they will be the first source to reach you with new information.

2. danny33 says:

i agree with your ideas and your statments about the internet being an interactive platform. i believe in the near future their will be no phones or coffe houses where people can interact and talk. there will only be technology where people willl be able to talk