Discussion Thread #4

Good afternoon, everyone. Here is the video footage I mentioned yesterday featuring both Robert Moses and Franklin Delano Roosevelt. I cannot express how extraordinary this moving imagery is. There is very little footage of Roosevelt “walking” after being struck by polio in 1921.

Here is the reading for Discussion Thread #4 and for our class conversation next Tuesday, October 13. For the thread please write 100-300 words giving your impressions of the article. As always one has wide latitude. One might write about the footage as a long lost piece of material culture, the Roosevelt/Moses relationship, Jones Beach itself, or whatever else you might like based upon the reading. Again, we will discuss the piece next week based upon our thread responses.

24 thoughts on “Discussion Thread #4”

1. In Charles Hawkins’ film, watching the interaction between Franklin D. Roosevelt and Robert Moses, they seem to be amicable with each other. But it is awkward knowing that this was most likely an act between the two, according to Paul Sparrow. Before the interaction on the day that the cornerstone was laid for the Jones Beach West Bathhouse on August 3, 1930; Roosevelt decided to not keep Moses as his secretary of state after he was elected Governor in 1928. There was a high chance of Moses putting a facade of joy when interacting with Roosevelt on such an important date for himself and FDR. After the opening of Jones Beach State Park, there would be anniversary celebrations held every 10 years with a massive cake for a huge set of people. Without a doubt, there could have been visitors who joined the event to genuinely celebrate the 10th anniversary of the opening of Jones Beach State Park, or they attended to receive a free slice of Cake. If there was a celebration that offered free cake, I would absolutely go.

2. This week’s discussion brought so many memories. Reading the article about Jones beach heirloom, reminded me of my late grandmother that died this past June(98). I vividly remember when I was little she used to show us some documentary my grandfather recorded. We still have most of those Record players back home in Ghana, which we are trying to put all those documentary on youtube so that the next generation can learn the history. I remember one of the recordings was about our ex-president JJ Rawling trying to come into power in around 1979 through Coup. It got very bloody since Rawlings was a soldier at that time. It got to a point he sent his soldiers to almost every house to check and make sure the people are not hoarding anything. His reason behind this was because there was a shortage of food and drugs in the country. My grandmother told us they had to hide the camera to capture those activities since when you are caught you will be sent to prison or be beaten to death. I’m very grateful that my grandfather was brave enough to capture those moments. My Grandfather had a story very similar to Ed Hawkins with the footage that was taken

1. Michael, thank you for sharing your and your family’s extraordinary story. I’m glad you have the memories of your grandmother and that you all are doing everything you can to preserve the family history for future generations.

3. The short awkward transitions to the different clips filmed of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and Robot Moses closely represent the existing tensions they share through their past encounters. As a viewer of the film, I felt the awkward tension between the two public figures as the camera intensity followed their every move. They continue to smile and laugh without acknowledging the camera as if they have been long time friends. In reality, Robert Moses disliked Franklin Delano Roosevelt especially when the president never kept Moses as his secretary of state after becoming governor in 1928. The home movie was created the same day Franklin Delano Roosevelt officially laid a cornerstone in the West Bathhouse at Jones Beach, which was created in what used to be residential homes. Robot Moses along with his attorney, Crawford Hawkin, were in a legal court case with residents at High Hill Beach, to favor in constructing a public state park.

1. “The short awkward transitions to the different clips filmed of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and [Robert] Moses closely represent the existing tensions they share through their past encounters.”

Tiffany, I liked your line above. One thing: Hawkins was actually not Moses’s attorney against the High Hill Beach residents, but THEIR attorney and thus in opposition against Moses. Still, the two managed to remain friends.

4. Just from the video, without any background information about the relationship between Robert Moses and Franklin D. Roosevelt, one would have imagined they were on good terms with each other, but after reading the article it is the opposite. Despite the difference between the two later in their life, they both care about the success of Jones Beach to create the so-called “act” showed in the footage, walking together, and posing for the pictures. It is kind of amazing how this piece of history is being preserved to this age. The house of Hawkins must be proud of the footage since from the picture in the article alone, the footage has been transferred into 4 different types of media and now it is forever floating in the deep ocean known as the internet.

1. ” . . . now it is forever floating in the deep ocean known as the internet.” Yes!

Yuli, nice post. And yes, we are fortunate that this important vignette from history has survived and now preserved and available to all.

5. After reading the article and watching the short clip of FDR and Robert Moses, I can sense the force and tension. As Paul Sparrow had mentioned in the article, these two were enemies and them being together seemed as an act. According to the article, Moses was never fond of FDR. Fuel was added to the fire, when FDR didn’t keep Moses as his Secretary of State. This brought Moses’ dislike into hatred. That made me believe that their issues ran deeper than we really know. The video clip looked like Moses didn’t really want to be there and is just playing along. Both men knew the importance of the Jones Beach project and they seemed passionate about it. This allowed them to put their differences to the side for the moment, be mature and focus on the common goal of opening Jones Beach. This situation is very relatable to everyday life. When going to work, I may not like everyone I work with. Sometimes there is a lot of tension. However when customers or the big bosses come around, we make sure that we come together as a team to get the job done.

1. “That made me believe that their issues ran deeper than we really know.”

Ebony, this is a very perceptive point. You capture the essence of the article very succinctly in your post as well. Well done.

6. Watching the video of president Roosevelt and Moses, the thing that struck me rather immediately was Roosevelt’s paralysis. It has become well known about the president’s contraction of polio as a young man but, from what I understand, it was kept rather secret from the people so as to not make him look “weak”. So, this video is an interesting insight into Roosevelt’s life and how he lived with and managed that condition. Then, to see him with Moses talking and laughing about whatever they may be, paints an interesting picture of the relationship they may have had, despite political disagreements from their efforts at Jones beach. I think that this video is rather important to be able to see footage, considered a “home movie” that maybe paints a more honest picture of the two figures.

1. Gillen, you are the first so far to mention FDR’s paralysis. As you point out, his physical condition was largely kept secret from the American people. Many knew he suffered from polio but did not know the extent of his condition.

7. To me personally, although I’ve never known that he suffered from Polio, learning this now and seeing a motion picture of him walking brings a sense of enlightenment and a reminder of better days. This has been something in which can be labeled as the archaeological find of the classic moving pictures history during a modern time. Being able to discover such a footage that depicts FDR walking during a time in which he was not suffering of polio is an immense opportunity to watch. Something of this nature is almost incredible to partake in, let alone being the one to discover this old gem after decades of what can be labeled as being undiscovered and being put away somewhere, only to be once seen at some point in the distant future.
    The video, although it does not have sound, is a great clip to witness. It gives you a great sense of reminder of the relationship that FDR and Robert Moses once had. It as well gives you the vibe of watching an old film of course! This discovery just goes to show and to prove, we never know who we might have been connected to in the past, whether that be personally or through a mutual friend or relative, we all some day might share a piece of a near discovery in the future. Whether good or bad, this gives us a great feeling of enjoyment to see something that everyone has once thought to be, an impossible event to remember.

1. Albert, it is indeed a great clip to witness. We are fortunate it survived. One thing just to be clear: FDR contracted polio in 1921, nine years before this footage was taken. He was not truly “walking” here, but leaning on a cane and locked in arms with someone else for support. His optimism and sunny outlook through the ordeal is indeed inspiring.

8. This thread was very interesting. During the semester our class had many discussions about Robert Moses and Franklin Roosevelt. It was really great observing this video footage of Robert Moses and Franklin Roosevelt. One can tell that these two men shared many things in life with each other. In the video clip Robert Moses is like Roosevelt protector. As he slowly and smoothly walks, beside him Moses guides Roosevelt on his vigilant path while he is aided by his cane. He supports his limp in his leg by balancing his gait. I can tell they shared a special bond among themselves. During their conversations their presents were so joyful with a cheery smile. It was very noble of Roosevelt to embrace his sickness with polio in a peaceful manner. I think that he coped with it very well. I myself can’t imagine that it was not easy for him to set his feelings and pride aside despite his medical diagnosis of polio. His temperament seemed to come across gracefully.
    This video brought back memories of me back when I was having complications walking with my right knee. I had a motor vehicle accident that happened in 2007 I had suffered some major injuries prior to the accident. A few years after I was diagnosed with mild arthritis. Which I was told resulted from injuries from the accident. Everyone goes through many obstacles whether it is a health challenge or physical. You must stay strong and keep pushing. If you keep falling you must rise above the hurt pain and most difficult time of your life. It’s always nice to have encouragement from someone who you trust. Roosevelt had the support of his dear friend Moses standing beside him.

1. Tameeka, thank you for sharing. Again, I am sorry this happened to you. Sometimes things befall us and we are forced to handle them a best we can. Through it all, as you point out, we must remain strong and keep pushing.

Per our discussion along with Professor Duddy, there is no need to rewrite the post. We know you went back and reread the article, thus getting the full picture of the Moses/FDR relationship.

9. Most people know that Franklin D. Roosevelt served as the first president with a significant disability. At the age of 39 he was diagnosed with infantile paralysis, or more commonly known as polio. This video footage would be considered a fascinating find because as stated by the professor, there is not a lot of footage of FDR walking after being diagnosed. After researching a little bit I found some articles stating that FDR was working to show a “stronger” side to the american people. It shows that he received help from his bodyguard Gus Gennerich in order to keep up with appearances. Here is the link that shows video footage of him keeping these appearances. https://time.com/5325424/video-president-roosevelt-walking/

1. Giselle, thanks for sharing this link. One interesting aside: the Roosevelt historian whom they quote in the piece, Geoffrey C. Ward, also has polio. I saw him speak at the CUNY Graduate Center a few years ago. Interesting guy.

10. My thoughts on the article read, I like how each person is introduced from their past that then shows how they’ve met in person. I like how Herbert Hoover and the rest of the group including Robert Moses and the FDR wanted to prioritize the health of the general public. I like how there are a bunch of films that was done by Charls Hawkins and Ed Hawkins. I also like how Jones Beach anniversaries have cake sessions served to visitors annually which I find very interesting.

11. When the video starts you can see a type of friendship between Robert Moses and FDR. It’s kind of ironic because Moses really didn’t like FDR. There was almost a nonchalant feeling coming from Moses as he was walking with FDR. You can’t tell the hatred these two men have for each other in the video but there was a lot going on, more than we realized. At the time FDR was President he released Moses as his Secretary of State. FDR didn’t seem ecstatic as well but the two knew that Jones beach was going to be an important factor so maybe they were able to put their differences aside for the sake of the beach.

12. It certainly is interesting to see two rivals, whose relationship turned sour later on in life, interacting with each other. The political world just seems to be filled with moments where individuals would have to constantly converse with opponents that in many other life instances are situations that could very easily be avoided. On top of this, having to keep things civil would be of a high priority as a result of always being in the spotlight. The clip and the article was a good reminder, however, that there are times when two people who may not see eye to eye can come together to create something historical. And as such we are now able to witness what a rare collaboration between Moses and FDR was able to bring. A thing that I really admired about the reading was just how clearly it was able to emphasize the importance of not just the clip, but of the project. It really focused things into perspective, and also elevated the role Moses himself had, by connecting him to not just big named individuals, but by tagging his name even more to projects and places that we might all be familiar with.

13. Understanding the background between Robert Moses and Franklin D Roosevelt did not have the best relationship they had differences in what they represented and carried as values, Seeing them coming together was very odd. Seeing them together meant that there was going to be a new type of project happening in new York. Robert Moses involvement meant that the project was going to be approved and built. Whether it’ll be a highway or a park or a building Robert Moses got involved using his political background to secure Major construction projects, due to his connections with people some of his funding was received from corporation funding. As I continued viewing the video, the event taking place reminded me of when there was this major project press release event where-leaders of the project and representatives came out and cut a red ribbon with massive scissors. Roosevelt who struggled with his sickness, made a public appearance to show he was still strong enough to make decisions as president. This filled the idea of how strong America was.

14. It is interesting to see how Robert Moses and his relationship with Franklin D. Roosevelt was perceived compared to how it was in reality. If you were to just watch the film, you would think that the two were great friends but after reading the article that could not be farther from the truth. It was interesting to see how the two could come together for a bit to see the success of Jones Beach it just goes to show that no matter how far apart you are from someone there is always one thing you could agree on. Asd