Discussion # 8

I’m not sure if Veterans Day is taken in good manner being a holiday. I’m not sure how Veterans might feel about the day. Never really asked how veterans felt about the day. However, I can imagine how some may feel that they at least get a day that is dedicated to them. However, why should a whole nation feel the need to celebrate especially in deviation; many families making it about themselves rather than the true people on reserves.

Now, onto this image I feel like the end of the war is very fresh during this time. So, society may be focusing more on the value of their veterans by showcasing and demonstrating appreciation; in this case throwing them a party. The photo also feels very young which demonstrates how young men were being recruited at the time.

One thought on “Discussion # 8”

1. “The photo also feels very young which demonstrates how young men were being recruited at the time.” Mike, indeed they all appear so fresh-faced and young. Our perception of the veterans of this era are today clouded by seeing them in their old age.

Re Veterans Day itself: it began in 1918 as Armistice Day, which was the day the fighting stopped (supposedly, it didn’t really) in Europe during the Great War.