According to Jan Tschichold, typography should be more natural and allow itself to bend the rules and strict measurements that have been taught and implemented in modern typography. For instance, he believes that asymmetry has more of an advantage than symmetry does because it is more observationally challenging and would force the viewer to look at it for a longer time. Asymmetry allows for there to exist a relation to real lifes chaotic nature making it a much more symbolic and deeper piece people can connect with. As these kinds of typographic styles trend the need for an explanation of all the ambiguity rises. From what I understood of what Jan Tschichold wrote, he believes design is better when it is spontaneous and inquisitive but must not have an addition of ornaments that may throw off or cause a communication issue. 

On the other hand, Karl Gerstner is all about measurements and following the rules. So much that he cites an entire detailed method explaining how to design properly. He believes that this process is necessary in order to create a good piece. Everything must be done from within a grid and then creativity shall bloom the proper way instead of having it be all over the place with no method at all. 

Truthfully I believe that a good amount of both Jan’s and Karl’s methods could be synergized into creating an overall better method for how we should design. There is always the individual’s perspective and how their work flow works with this method because it will not be the same for everyone and I don’t believe there is only one way to go about design.

Josef mainly emphasizes that a grid is what gives the designer their work discipline and that it expresses the will to be systematic and delicately handle the art respectfully. I agree with his perspective and I think that it is beautiful to think of the method of laying out the grid as a symbol of our will and dedicated to structure and creating something with strong foundations from scratch.