So, according to the 2 readings and my own opinion:

Language is “a list of words, each corresponding to the
thing that it names,” basically broken down in the simplest way. From what Sassure said. With Lupton and Miller, they basically didn’t really say what language was. They just explained the importance of words and symbols.

The things that distinguish a language proper from other forms of communication could be from how we might have rules of how we say those things like from using english, using sign language and etc. to name a few. Lupton and Miller was talking about modern hieroglyphics with that.

Symbols or icons are related to language because it can tell anyone what anything is. It can even go back to hieroglyphics.

Signs, signifiers, and the signified are employed in general communication because from what sassure said, He basically gave an example of the words arbor and equos with the pictures about it. He also said that “I propose to retain the word sign [signe] to designate the/”whole and to replace concept and sound-image respectively by \signi££d^ [signifie] and signifier [signifiant]”

In graphic communication, it would make people understand what they’re being told, (i guess)

Language shapes design, to make people be like “oh i know what this means”. Probably going back to hieroglyphics and shapes in general.(I guess)

Design basically lets you create things for companies and languages can’t do that. (In my opinion)

Language and design are related to one another in today’s culture, by like putting words, sign language and stuff like that in any poster, motion graphic and those types of things. We also can talk about those types of concepts, in the ways we know how to, so that people would understand us in that way. (i guess)