McLuhan addresses technology and media as “extensions of man.” Usually I wouldn’t even think of it that way. It’s because to me, it sounds pretty weird. But No matter how bizarre it sounds, to myself, its a very complex way to think of it. This assignment response will break down some of the stuff that he said in his passage. My answers will try to dive deeper into how he really thought of, what he thought of. My responses within some of his quotes will analyze why he intentionally mentioned the stuff he wrote in his book.

Media extends human beings, or humanity in general because “the mediums, or process, of our time-electric technology-is reshaping and restructuring patterns of social interdependence and every aspect of our personal” lives. “All media are extensions of some human faculty-psychic or physical.” The hazards that technological progress might bring for individuals and society can come this statement: “Unhappily, we confront this new situation with an enormous backlog of outdated mental and psychological responses.” Which could mean that it’s very unpleasant that we have to challenge this new condition with a gigantic pile up of previous answers to all of our brains. In general, some tech that’s too perfect can have some malfunctions and glitches. Even in those times, back in the old days, when you think about it. If i’m not mistaken.  

If “the medium is the message,” then some roles that artists and designers play in creating new messages by actually accept goals and get their roles too. That’s because: “The young today reject goals. They want roles- r-o-l-e-s. That is, total involvement. They do not want fragmented, specialized goals or jobs.” So, all of that can still happen if they also don’t reject goals as well. Designing anything has to be successful if you do your job right.

There needs more way less dropouts and way more teach-ins. Dropouts get nowhere in life. Teach-ins are technically pretty excellent in their careers. That’s because: “The dropout represents a rejection of nineteenth-century technology as manifested in our educational establishments. The teach-in represents a creative effort, switching the educational process from package to discovery.” That’s in my opinion. the work of a designer subordinate to the media they use to create or distribute information could be because i guess they’re only doing it for whoever clients and companies individually. That’s how once again McLuhan addresses technology and media as “extensions of man.”