Teaching Methodologies

Previous: Teaching Philosophy

Part of my teaching methodology stems from the reference interview that we are taught as librarians of which the steps are Inclusion, Approachability, Engagement, Searching and Evaluation. My method is then involves asking questions to get at the heart of what the student or user is looking for through the process. Sometimes there’s more to the questions that a student is asking and only by engaging in a conversation about their research can we assess all of their needs. Students also need to feel comfortable enough to be able to ask their questions and so inclusion and approachability are essential components of the larger conversation.

Similarly, inquiry-based learning is a large part of how I teach – having students be a part of the learning process and asking questions and engaging with the work makes for more meaningful discussions. I think also helps students better learn and remember when they are a part of the process.

“Guidelines for Behavioral Performance of Reference and Information Service Providers,” American Library Association, 2023. http://www.ala.org/rusa/resources/guidelines/guidelinesbehavioral

Next: Syllabi and Assignments