Individual Strengths

No matter how successful and efficient one is, we all have strengths and weaknesses. When interacting with and caring for others, I try my best to treat everyone justly. We all, at some point, have been in the position to need the help and care of others. This greatly influences my approach to healthcare. I express compassion, respect, and empathy to those with whom I come in contact with, regardless of the situation, understanding that sickness can greatly influence one’s behavior. Taking pride in everything that I do is of utmost importance, putting my best foot forward, completing tasks in a timely fashion, thoroughly, and precisely as possible. I possess excellent time management skills, where I prioritize, and complete difficult tasks in a timely manner, while aiding those who may require assistance. The importance of helping others was instilled in me as a child by my mother. I tend to do this, even for those who may not return the gesture. Honest, trustworthy, reliable, empathetic, and compassionate are other characteristics which I uphold, in my personal and professional life. I also enjoy sharing knowledge and valuable information with anyone whom I may encounter. I am an efficient leader, who welcomes advice and counsel of others, and can be a great team player, offering others utmost support even when not assuming the role of the leader. Furthermore, being organized and a critical thinker, having the ability to pay attention to detail, and possessing great desire to learn, has helped and will continue to help me to be successful in this wonderful nursing profession.

A weakness that I possess, is listening. Oftentimes, one listens with the intent to respond, rather than to understand. Although I do listen to patients, colleagues, and others in general while communicating, at times I fall short of processing the information the way it was intended. I often jump ahead (in my mind) and prepare to fix the problem, overlooking the fact, that some individuals are not necessarily looking for an answer, but a listening ear to vent frustrations. Another weakness is not trusting others to complete certain tasks the way I would. Due to this, I tend to overload myself with work. I have no problem saying no, however, when a task must be completed, I tend to take on the most difficult aspects (sometimes the entire task), especially when collaborating with those who do not take pride in their work. I am a work in progress, and far from perfect, however; one is working on strengthening such weaknesses.

“Strength and growth come only through continuous effort and struggle”-Napoleon Hill