Reflection 3

27 February 2018

Reflection 3

In class, we discussed the significance of credibility, what is needed to succeed, relevance in the design industry, where to look for a job and temp agencies, non-design skills needed to become a freelance graphic designer, and much more. Credibility, in terms, equals visibility. To be credible, you become reliable and dependent, which translates to becoming known and seen as that kind of person. Some of the things needed to succeed were work ethics, professionalism, passion, skill set, familiarity, desire to succeed, expect challenges, great self-management skills, and humility. A lot of these felt like common sense in my opinion because they were things that we already knew. Growing up, we are taught that nothing comes easy. Everything takes work, and there will be challenges along the way. All those years of elementary school, middle school, high school, and even college, has provided us with the qualities and tools we need to succeed.

Relevance in the design industry is a key part to a successful career. It is important because it keeps you designs sharp and connected. By attending design conferences, you’ll explore new tools and strategies that can be applicable to your own work. It provides an opportunity to learn and network with others in the field. Relevance is essential because it keeps you involved. Although I have never been to a design conference, I am definitely intrigued to go to one.

After watching Marian Bantjes’s TED talk, Intricate Beauty by Design, I felt more confident about my individuality. I felt that my heart and interests could be valued in the work that I create. In design, we are taught that there are rules we must abide by that can’t be broken and that there is room for creativity but to an extent. Six years ago, after 20 years in graphic design, Marian Bantjes changed the way she worked to pursue a more personal approach by throwing her individuality into her projects. She used to be a graphic designer that followed suit in her work. Now, she follows her heart, interest, and ego to create work beneficial to both herself and the client. The more she dealt with the work as something of her own, something more personal, the more successful it became.

As a graphic arts student, I’ve been taught that remaining true to brand identity is of the most importance. There have been projects that I’ve been assigned to that I didn’t totally love working on. Sometimes, if I got too creative with my ideas, I would be told that I should focus more of my attention on the client. Therefore, that’s why I mentioned earlier that we could be creative but only to an extent. Creating something you love and follows your interests takes a backseat in design. I am not saying that remaining true to brand identity and the client’s vision isn’t critical, however, taking that personal approach to doing something you love is just as imperative.

What I hope for society and the future of design is that we can break from the norms and the rules. Of course, we will still follow these rules but we shouldn’t be bound to them. After watching this TED talk, it made me wonder and think about what is worthwhile. Is it worth it to spend my time and the rest of my life doing something unconventional, something I love and can pursue with all my heart and individuality? Or is it worth it to spend my time and the rest of my life doing work that satisfies everyone but me? I choose me. This is my life and I have to live with every decision I make. If I am not doing something that I can put my all into, why am I doing it at all?