09 – Collaborations + Teams

If you were an intern at a large company/office, you may find yourself working alongside a large team. In some cases, there may be different teams for each design field. Collaborative projects could involve different people from different teams. The same can’t be said if you experience being an intern at a smaller company/office. Interning at the Student Life & Development office here at City Tech provided me with that experience. There are two main designers and me as an intern am the third, so our collaborative projects would be among us.

It was a unique experience because even though we worked on the designs for posters, social media, and websites, there were times when we got to interact with our colleagues during student events. One unique event I got to be a part of is the Food Pantry, which now has its own location on the 4th floor! This was an amazing experience because I was able to take part in creating the logo representing our City Tech mascot, the yellowjacket.

During this project, the main communication used in the office would be through Microsoft Teams. For the food pantry’s grand reopening project, there was a collaboration between the person in charge of managing it and us to gather information on dates and times. Because the pantry was relocated and going through renovation, design frames and/or posters were needed. Small details such as frame sizes and print sizes were key things to get used to because I had to do a lot of printing and cutting. As a small group, we also had meetings among ourselves before meeting up with the big boss for approval on designs and the final logo.