Let’s Get To Work – #7

We are now in week 7. My teammates and I are now in constant communication with Mr. Lee and his assistants. We have started attending weekly meetings held on Monday evenings. These meetings are held as means of discussing upcoming events and assignments for said events. It’s convenient for me to attend these meetings, as I get more insight on the going ons at Giving Forward and the time these meetings occur help too.  This week, we have been assigned to work on making social media banners for online zoom comedy and music events. The music event was taking place on friday march 19th, with the comedy event taking place the day before. Giving Forward has a history of hosting events in order to generate funds for charities. This event was to commemorate World Happiness Day, which was March 20th. Mr. Lee and his assistants spoke to us about making our own banners and from there they would select the one that best fits the look they want. They offered us to use a software called Bannersnack. Bannersnack let its users make IAB banners for online use. With Bannersnack, you can make multiple banners at a time. I wasn’t very familiar with Bannersnack at the time, so I opted to use Indesign when making my banners.

GoodBuzz comedy event 1

GoodBuzz comedy event 2

GoodBuzz music event 1

GoodBuzz music event 2

I was happy with the way my banners came out, for I used a gradient for the background to give it a sense of levity that this show was to be based on. I sent my files to Mr. Lee and his assistants on the 18th, via slack. They gave us this assignment rather late in the week, so I had to work hastily to get those out to them ASAP. We found out the results that same night on the 18th. Ultimately, they decided to go with Luis’ design, letting us know via Slack. They did make a good choice, as his banner was well done and really set the tone for the event’s lively nature. I was happy for him as well, as I saw his file posted on eventbrite and thus reinforced the notion of “if one of us wins, we all win”. This was a great learning experience for me, as I saw what works and doesn’t work, in terms of banner making. Less is more is the lesson learned here. I will keep that in mind for the next assignment. Also, I must familiarize myself with bannersnack. I very much enjoyed doing this project. On to the next one we go.Â