Internship Blog #13: Virtual Field Trip (Blue Exhibit)

For Week 11, we did a virtual field trip for the “blue.” Exhibition at the Nassau Museum. This exhibit dives into the different types of contemporary art, themed around the color blue.

Name of the artist: Pablo Picasso (Spanish, b. 1881 – d.1973)
Name of the artwork:
Buste de Femme, 1902
Size of the piece:
29 in. x 22 in.
Medium:
Lithograph

This painting uses a lot of tones of blue in order to give depth and detail to the artwork. The focal point of this painting is the woman. This piece of art caught my eye because it looks like it was staring right at me. This artwork gives me a sense of sadness.

Name of the artist: Utagawa Yoshiharu (Japanese, b. 1828-1888)
Name of the artwork:
Large Elephant from a Foreign Country, 1863
Size of the piece:
30 x 14.25 inc.
Medium:
Color woodblock print triptych

This artwork highlights an old-looking elephant with a bunch of people around it. The artwork uses a lot of gray for both the people and the elephant but uses dark blue for the background. There is a great contrast between the two colors. This artwork caught my eye because the elephant mostly takes up the canvas. The piece gives me a sense of mystery.

Name of the artist: James Casebere (American, b. 1953)
Name of the artwork:
Blue House on Water #2, 2018, Edition 3/5 with 2 AP
Size of the piece:
60.5 in. x 47 in.
Medium:
Plaster, Styrofoam, and Cardboard

The focal point of this artwork is the house. This artwork uses geometric shapes in order to create the shape of the house. It uses a lot of different tones of blue, yellow, red, and gray. The artist used the different tones of blue very well which helped give the house dimension. What made me choose this artwork is that I loved the reflection of the water. This artwork gives me a mood of peacefulness.

I thought the virtual experience exhibit was alright in comparison to visiting a museum in person. I thought the videos were very boring but I loved reading the pdf at my own pace and seeing all of the cool artwork.