Internship Blog #10 Webinar

For Webinar week, I watched a Webinar from Vyond called “Storyboarding for Video: a Beginner’s Guide” by Prakriti Rai who is a video producer. I learned a lot from this Webinar, it taught me a lot of interesting facts about storyboarding, why storyboarding is useful and how to create a storyboard.

I learned that storyboarding is a visual representation of key scenes in different kinds of visual media like film or video. It can take different forms such as full-color illustrations or images to basic stick figures. Storyboarding was first developed during the 1930s in Walt Disney Studios by a Disney animator named Webb Smith. Storyboard artists are usually hired for Live-action movies or shows, commercials, video games, short-form videos, and interactive media like UX design.

Rai shows off examples of when storyboards are being used. First, she uses the example of a storyboard used from the movie parasite. She said the director feels less anxiety when using storyboards during the film process. She shows off another storyboard from the game of thrones and the storyboard is used in greater detail. She gives two more examples from Verizon which uses detailed color and Spongebob Squarepants which has no color but includes dialogue. The storyboard process is useful because it helps you plan scenes visually and helps with communication with clients or coworkers.

When making a storyboard, you should decide your audience, objective, and theme of the project. Think of essential scenes or elements to include in the video. You can create storyboards with Pencil and Paper or using digital software. Also if you decide to use color, they should use a color palette. There are many options for people so they can create storyboards physically, they could draw their own template, download and print a storyboard template or use a storyboard notebook. For storyboard software, you can use storyboarder, Boords, Studiobinder, Canva, Storyboard That, and Vyond.

I personally really enjoyed this event. For a while, I had a great interest in the process of storyboarding so I’m happy I was able to learn more about it. The presenter used a lot of great visual examples and explained clearly what storyboarding is and how to do it. This is a great webinar.