Self-Analysis

Throughout my associate degree in nursing (ADN), one of my professors kept convincing me to go for my bachelors. She never told me the reason why and I never bothered asking her why either. All I wanted was to get a job after I pass the National Council Licensure Exam (NCLEX). However, job offers for a new ADN graduate were futile. Apparently, we are in an era were employers only hire nurses with bachelor’s degree. At least that was what I was told. As frustrating as can be I had no choice but to go back to school.

The first semester felt like eternity. I was not feeling it at all. I did not think the classes were relevant to nursing/clinical field. Critical thinking skills were not even necessary to take the exams. Though I had to admit I tried the skill on my first exam in the baccalaureate program. The questions were straightforward but I thought the teacher was trying to trick us students. Normally that would be the case for nursing exams that I got accustomed to it. Who would not be if that were the only kind of exam I have been taking for two years? Well, it did not work in this case.

It was not until my second semester that I started to understand why those classes were required. It was also the semester I learned that there are more to the profession than the nursing process or bedside nursing. My horizon was definitely broadened to the different side as well as the many issues that affect the profession, the community, the environment, etc. that need addressing. Because of the knowledge gained, I am getting more comfortable and enjoy talking about anything nursing related to anyone – community and healthcare professionals alike. I am glad I decided to embark in this adventure – a challenging journey yet full of wonderful life lessons that I can carry with me for life.