About Me

Hi, my name is Jessica Machado. Currently on my last semester in of the Dental Hygiene program in New York City College of Technology.

I come from a very big Brazilian-Italian family, and I have to include them in my about me, because my father, mother and siblings has shaped me to become the woman that I am today. My mother’s best friend was a hygienist and since I was a little girl I was always told to become a hygienist. It was as if my mother had this plan for me all along. When my mother got sick with cancer, she couldn’t really spend those quality times with me anymore to discuss about my future plans. But she said I’d be in good hands with whatever decision I’d make. So In honor of my mother and to make her proud I’ve strived my hardest, with every inch of me to make it to where I am now.

With that saying, one day around four years ago, I was called for an interview to work as a front desk helper at a high end dentist office. Not having one experience in the dental field, I thought to myself why not open a new chapter in my life. I’m so glad that I made that decision, it has led me to where I am now, and many doors has opened since then. Working at the front desk didn’t do me justice, I was always more interested in what was going on in the dental chair, therefore one day I asked my boss to teach me how to become an assistant. I knew from that point on, I was meant for this field. I love dealing with my patients and being able to help them out, educate them, make a change in their oral health. From that moment, I knew my mom’s dream of me becoming a hygienist was unfolding. Nonetheless four years later, here I am on my last few weeks of this program and sooner to achieving my biggest accomplishment.

Can’t wait to continue on growing on this path of endless options.