Blog #2

Blog #2.  Bellevue Hospital Center,  462 1st Avenue, New York, NY 10016, Tuesday, September 17, 2013, 08:30am – 12:40p.m.

Today, the second day of my clinical visit to Bellevue Hospital Center I had the opportunity to work with patients in the Asthma/chest/Pulmonary Clinic.  I had a very exciting and informative day working with patients affected by these diseases. I learned that Direct Observe Therapy, were offered to patients, who are non-compliant with taking their medications. These patients would come into the clinics and medications are administered to them there.

Further, I learned that Asthma/chest/Pulmonary Clinic at Bellevue, share rooms with patients that are affected in the World Trade Center blasts. I was told they have their own doctors and staff who care for them.  Now, this bit of information was truly an eye opener for me.  Patients were taught the symptoms to look out for, causes that can trigger asthma attacks and some medications used for treatment.

There was a 52 year old female Ms. J. T. diagnosed with asthma, come in for follow-up treatment and teachings on medication newly prescribed by her doctor.  She was taught how to use her asthma inhaler along with the Flo spacer and side effects to look out for with the medication prescribed.  I learned that one of our most effective diagnostic tools is listening, letting the patients tell you about their lifestyle, habits, activities and symptoms. Moreover, education is the key to teach patients and their families how to identify and treat symptoms when they first appear. I had a great experience and anxiously awaiting more opportunities to be involved in helping and addressing the needs of this community.