Learning Self-Analysis

The BSN program has been both a difficult yet fruitful journey for me.  Before I came to the United States, I was a Registered Nurse working in a hospital in Shanghai, China.  Unlike the hospitals I interned here as part of the BSN clinical programs, the demographic at the hospitals in China are very homogeneous.  Almost all the patients there are Chinese with similar cultural and religious backgrounds.  Because of the BSN program, I was able to intern at various medical care facilities here in New York were patients has cultural backgrounds from all over the world.  This was both exciting and scary for me because I was excited to meet all kinds of different people and learn about their cultures.  At the same time, I was afraid that I would not be able to provide them with the best care because of my ignorance of other cultures.  By taking the courses and having done all the clinics, the BSN program has given me the confidence I need to become a competent nurse and I believe I am ready to face the various difficulties of working as a nurse in the United States.