Franny Lew Wine & Spirits

The retail shop I chose is nestled in a little shopping center off the highway in Fresh Meadows. The name of the shop is called Franny Lew Wine & Liquor located at 198 – 29 Horace Harding Expressway Fresh Meadows, N.Y 11365. I frequent this retailer often because the owner, Steve, is extremely friendly and knows his stuff. I went in there one day and set up an appointment to come and interview him and take photos of the shop, which he had no problems with.

I went into the shop early on a Monday and the owner gave me his full, undivided attention. I asked him why he got into the business and he told me his father was also in the wine industry, and from a young boy he always loved wine. I asked him how he goes about procuring wines and he said through customer requests and tastings he chooses the wines.  Next, I asked how he goes about selling new wines to customers, and he said through conversations with his customers he recommends the new wine and for the most part the customers will buy and try them. I asked the best and worst part of the job and he said the best part was being able to do what he loves and working for himself and that the hardest part is managing the inventory.  He provides wines from 22 different countries( old world and new world) and has a price range from $6 to upwards of $800. A typical customer buys the average bottle rounding around $22.  He told me that quarterly he has tastings for his customers to try new wines, and offers sales throughout the year. He has a mailing list and sends out emails about the new and exciting things going on at the shop. The shop doesn’t only have wines along the right side wall and behind the register he has spirits,mostly the well known and some very old scotchs’, but interestingly enough also has some craft spirits.

The set up. He set his store up with to the right spirits and aisles and aisles of different types of wines. On the left walls are the red wines and have about 11 aisles of reds, whites, roses and sparkling wines. In the back there is a refrigerator with some ready chilled whites. There is also a cellar in the back for the really good wines.  There is an in house sommelier and they also deliver. All together I believe this wine shop is amazing, and offers many attributes. The weakest attribute I would say is there is too much to choose from, and if you are new to wine, you might get turned off. All in all, it was a great experience and I highly recommend  this shop to anyone who is in the neighborhood.

Cellar located in the back of the store.

Red wine wall

Red wine wall

20160318_140620

Champagnes and Sparking Wines

Champagnes and Sparking Wines

4 thoughts on “Franny Lew Wine & Spirits

1. Your post expresses well how interpersonal skills and effective communication are important traits. That paired with technical knowledge will lead to success.

Do you recommend adding this location to our retail list?