My surprising and exciting wine shop experience

The wines are labeled by grape variety and the section of the world it is produced.

Red wine, displayed together because each wine has cabernet sauvignon as the grape variety.

Spirit Wall displaying vodka to Whiskey

Spirit Wall displaying vodka to Whiskey.

The wall of wines displaying wines from all around the world.

Rose Wines

Rose wines, all from France.

The wine shop I went was 34th Wine and Spirits shop located on 34th and tenth avenue. My dad was the person who set up the experience because I am not twenty one yet. He explained to Kenny the owner of the store that I was taking a wine and beverage course in college. Kenney seemed more excited than I was to complete the project because I he told me to come to the store early morning before customers would start coming in. The outside of the shop seemed plain and simple, it did not have any busy overwhelming advertisement that would distracted you. As you walk into the store the walkway is wheelchair accessible that lead to a dark strained hard wood floor. The overall store had a welcoming vibe that made you want to come in, instead of being one of the huge cold spirit shop that does not understand their product. On the right hand side, were the pocket size spirit bottles leading up the traditional size bottles. The wall of wines first began with the red wines leading towards the white wine and then at the bottom was the rose wine and sparkling wines. When I first seen the wall of wines I felt overwhelmed and interested at the same time because some of the wines I negotiated from class. In the middle of the store was large rack of wine laying out a mixture of sparkling wines and red wines. The one negative effect of the store is the location because it is out of the way where you would think a wine and spirit store would not be located. However, the owner who was is super friendly and knowledge about wines and spirits. When I was in the store one of his clients from the building called in an order, and Kenney was asking specific questions such “what you are you in the mood for?”, and “are you going to drink or cook with the wine?.

The wine experience turned into a wine class because Kenney was starting to give me the history and details of each wine. For example, the wines from Chile have a fruity taste to them, the country produces red and white wines. Spain specializes in red such as Tempranillo and Crianza are aged for at least twelve months and Iroja is aged longer. Patagonia wine is a white wine that is a fuller creamy fruity wine. I also learned the certain red wines from France can be chilled to fifteen, twenty degrees. Once the wine is poured into either white or red wine glasses depending on the wine slip the wine first and then slip again after five minutes because the wine will have a different taste. Kenney had given me a wine opening experience by taking a bottle off the wall and showed me and then I had to open a bottle. The wine I ended up getting from the store as a gift was a 2013 Rapa Nui from the center valley of Chile.

8 thoughts on “My surprising and exciting wine shop experience

1. I had a similar experience with this because the manager who assisted our other classmates and I kept talking. Not in a bad way but a good way because she was very interested in teaching us about their diverse wine selection.

2. The comment about you having you dad be the one to call the store instead of you cause you aren’t 21, i have the same thought but actually the people in the store do not really mind that your not old enough. They would mind if you were planning on trying the wines and buying them. As long as you told them what school your in and why you are visiting they would’ve allowed you to go either way. However, you experience their seemed more exciting and pleasing than the one i had. The store owner Kenney seemed to be a kind person who takes an interest in teaching others about wine. Knowing that makes me want to go and visit his store sometime.

3. I learned something new from your post. I like the owner’s way to ask to the customers. The owner was truly professional and respectful. Thank you!

4. i like from you post that you said you have to experience with your Dad its also interesting in how the manager was treating the customers because i have the same experience to see the staff member who help me was with great attitude to the customers.