Retail Beverage Shop Analysis

Eliana Guerron
Professor Goodlad
HMGT 2402

For my beverage shop analysis I went to visit a liquor store near my home, called Liquor Town & Fine Wines located on 135-21 Crossbay Blvd, Ozone Park ,Queens. I was amazed at the selection of wines and spirits. As soon as you enter to the right side they have the display of spirits, each section with the respective sign. Toward the back they have the display of wines mostly from the United States and some from Italy, France, Australia, Germany, and South America. There was also an area for organic wines and also another area for kosher wines. This is the first time I see an area for kosher wine in a wine store. I asked one of the attendants for wines from Spain. He toke me to the second floor full of old world wines, most of them from France. They were displayed by region, some from Burgundy, Bordeaux, Rhone North and South. I thought to my self if I wasn’t studying wine I wouldn’t know the differences among the different regions from France. It was really interesting to see the way they organized the wines by region and varietal each with its specific labels. The display was also elegant. The pro of this wine shop is that the presentation of the wines makes it easy for the consumer to find what they are looking for. The con is the workers are not too informed about wines. They were hesitant to answer the questions and, in fact, told me I should email the manager with my questions. He never got back to me.

Liquor Town and Fine Wines store front

Liquor Town and Fine Wines store front

photo

red wines

In comparison when I went to visit the other store close to home called Deegan’s Wines and Liquor, what a difference it was. The owner was very approachable. They have been in business since 1979. The store wasn’t as big as the previous one, the display was simple, not as broad and modern as in the other store. The store is small but the owner told me that they have a lot space for storage because they sell mostly by cases ,but the owner was happy to answer my questions. She said that the most popular wines she sells are red wines from France, Argentina, and California. She said that an increase in wine sales came after a news story 20 years ago about why French people who drink wine have lower cholesterol even though they eat a lot of food with butter. They rotate the vintage, and put bottles on sale to prevent overstocking.

Deegan's Wines and Liquors store front

Deegan’s Wines and Liquors store front

red wines display

red wines display

White wine display

White wine display

Spirits display

Spirits display

2 thoughts on “Retail Beverage Shop Analysis

1. I am happy you decided to do a comparison analysis because the first store would be a disappointment to wine even though it would be easy to find but the workers had no knowledge of the product.