Hutong- PETE WELLS MEMO#3

New York City College of Technology, CUNY
Department of Hospitality Management

Janet Lefler Dining Room

MEMORANDUM

To: Professor Abreu
From: Luis Merlin
Date: 09/20/2019

Re: A New Destination for Dim Sum and Culinary Discipline

A new destination for dim sum and culinary discipline is something that you get from Wells review for he showcases pictures of the scenery. For one, Wells begins off by giving somewhat of a back story of how Hutong came to be. Hutong is a descendant of the Sichuan cuisine and Wells simplifies the cuisine as he talks about it. As I observe the review, I realized that he gave this restaurant 2 stars. What comes to mind when Wells says “culinary discipline” I believe he refers to the precision that the cooks at the restaurant have when it comes to plating. In the article Wells states, “The second course, a dark-meat stir-fry to be folded in iceberg lettuce, was more skillfully done, but the sting of paying $84 for a whole duck with uncrisp skin lingered.” One could say that he criticizes the plate for how it is when really, he is admiring the plating. As Wells proceeds with his review I have realized that he is very descriptive, he creates the view that he sees so that one can envision it. When you begin to read his review, you can see how amused he was b implying the spectacular dishes, variety of dim sum’s that Hutong has. He differentiates this with Da-Dong which is in 2nd Avenue and here is where you see how he compares the food here to Hutong and you can get he’s impressed. Where else will you find cooks who have the dexterity to make Wagyu-beef mille-feuilles whose flaky layers of pastry overlap each other by only a few millimeters, like the feathers on a songbird’s wing? With this citation from his review you can see that Wells was intrigued with the presentations of the cooks.
If it were up to me, I would recommend this this restaurant for Wells aside of describing mostly the restaurants layout he gives brief descriptions of dishes that have a consistency different variety of spices. The price at Hutong is decent, it isn’t pricey and it’s good for casual dining or business dates.

“Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry”