Pete Wells Memo#2

New York City College of Technology, CUNY

Department of Hospitality Management

Janet Lefler Dining Room

MEMORANDUM

To: Professor Abreu, Director of Service

From: Saltanat Mohamed, Student

Date: September 19, 2019

Re: New York Times Restaurant Review

This week Pete Wells published an article about recently opened Chinese restaurant Hutong, which is located in Midtown on the Upper East Side between 58th and 59th streets. The Hutong restaurant is a branch of original the Hong Kong harbor restaurant which was opened in Hong Kong, China.

The Manhattan Hutong restaurant, unlike other Chinese restaurants, has a modern, unusual decoration. The Hutong, along as other Chinese restaurants is known for serving dim sum that seemed to be one of the mastery good cooked dishes rather than other dishes at this restaurant. The restaurant is mainly focused on adding their traditional Sichuan spices to most of their extraordinary dishes, including alcoholic cocktails.

Despite the incredible small portioned dim sum that they offer I would think twice if want to try their other dishes because they might not be done well as customer desired, “Peking duck arrived at my table worse for wear and tear, carved haphazardly, with blobs of unmelted fat clinging to limp skin” (Pete Wells, 2019). The most important part of this restaurant is the high menu prices, “the sting of paying $84 for a whole duck with uncrisp skin lingered” (Pete Wells, 2019). In my opinion, the Hutong is expensive restaurant that may not satisfy the customers, but I would still recommend to dine in there to try their different dishes and dim sum.

“Providing Over 70 Years of Quality Service to the Hospitality Industry”