Review of Source 3&4

Aisse Tounkara

Professor Hall

This Source has a lot to contribute to my topic. My topic question is how preconceived notions of African Americans lead to police brutality. This source from the American Psychological Association will help me determine what the real issue is with the police when it comes to African Americans v White Americans. This topic that im doing is a very broad topic and narrow it down I chose implicit bias, it’s trainings and how police officers are told to police in different neighborhoods. It is very useful because this is real life that is happening. We could teach officers better approach when coming into these neighborhoods. In the article it states “Glaser says police departments are eager for solutions that will reduce racial disparities and know exactly what the stakes are”. This is telling me that they see this as an issue and know what extent it can get too. This whole article is based on opinions formed by police beforehand without adequate evidence. Most times a personal belief or judgement. More than likely when a police officer sees a black man even move his hands he shoots because he sees that person as a threat to him and to society as well. As opposed to a white man armed with a gun. What’s interesting to me is that it’s not just police officers it also citizens too. For example in the text is says “ A large proportion of white Americans have these implicit biases and thoughts already which makes it hard to expect officers to be different”. This source from the American Psychological Association is more likely to be a primary source. They themselves have done a lot of research. They see the differences in policing in a black neighborhood and white neighborhood and what the actual outcome is always going to be.