Rough Draft

Lucki (you called me)

The opioid crisis is one that, unfortunately, too many people can relate to. (insert statistic here). A lot of people say that music plays a big influence in such an epidemic. This is due to the various references to drugs that a majority of rap artists use. Such an influence spans outside the “hood”, especially nowadays. Kids from suburban, or kids who didn’t necessarily grow up in a bad neighborhood, might be listening to the same artist that a kid living in the Bronx, or in the projects is listening to. And both are hearing the same words as each other. People love to give the argument that drugs are being depicted in a false manner, that drugs are being glorified. But, not all artists are the same. Lucki (formerly known as Lucki Eck$), is a rapper from Chicago. I personally have been a fan of Lucki for a few years now, but his music is starting to “blow up” for the lack of a better term. Like a lot of artists today, he is known for his references to controlled substances. Now, I can you rolled your eyes, but its not in the way you might think. Lucki talks about the dark side of the pills he takes, the drink he sips, how its all killing him slowly. And he knows it. But he’s in the hands of the drug, and seems to have little to no control of his needs. Lucki also talks about his personal problems with depression. About how he uses drugs to “block out” all of the bad things that are going on in his life. The drugs help him forget. I think the point Lucki is trying to make is that all of these people around him are fake, “smiling when they losing”. But, even though people call him an addict, and label him as one, he is more genuine than most. This is because Lucki expresses his raw emotions, what life, and drugs, and depression, and withdrawal are doing to him, how its affecting Him. He may conceal his depression, but doesn’t ignore that fact that it still exists.

Lyrics:

I’m gonna move along, because you’re clueless
My little brother genius and a nuisance
Got your hoe surprised, I really do this
He be off them percs, like in his music
I’m really off this so that’s confusing
All these niggas smiling when they losing
We was smoking dope behind Obama crib
Hiding in the summer new tape shit
I’m xannin’ like back to the basics
That xan really blockin’ out that fake shit
When that sip drought, stomach rip and pout
How could I be worried about what they say
When that seal crack it feel like payday
How you findin’ trouble on your vacay
You called me a addict and that’s okay
I just split this pint with my big bro zay
I ain’t really thinking about you no way
You called me an addict and that’s okay