response to “Sonny’s Blue’s”

In the story, Sonny’s Blue’s by James Baldwin, I immediately noticed that the author has a way with words. What I mean by that is that the words that James Baldwin use create vivivd imagery for the reader. In the first few pages, we learn a lot of information regarding Sonny, the main subject in the story. We learn that Sonny is the younger brother to the author, and that he obviously cares very much for Sonny. We also learn that the narrator is an algebra teacher. But the thought of his brother being locked up, over heroin abuse, as well as peddling, seems to be interfering with his work. The narrator has a very deep love for his brother Sonny. This is made clear when the narrator recalls how he was there when Sonny was conceived, and also was present when he spoke his first words. One passage that I found particularly interesting is on page 36. ” The silence of the next few days must have been louder tab  the sound of all the music ever played…he went as far a she navy would carry him. The narrator tries to understand why his brother would want to leave Harlem, especially to join the Army, when he made it clear he has a passion for music, the piano in particular. I admire this story because it expresses raw emotion, for what it is. It’s realistic, and the conversation between these brothers is something that all siblings can relate to. That is sometimes not being sure how to express emotion to others, even though you both know deep down that you love each other. That is one of the things that stuck with me, while reading this short story.