The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao

The excerpt from “The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao” by Junot Diaz  made me a little bored at first. Then when  surprisingly later it became  interesting  that I found myself wanting to read more about the “fuku.” I guess it was because of how Diaz was telling the history of “fuku.” That he wrote in a style that seemed less  formal but is  like  more natural and humorous. The sentence that took me by surprise and made me laugh was “who killed JFK? Let me, your humble Watcher, reveal one and for all the God’s Honest Truth: It wasn’t the mob or the ghost of Marilyn fucking Monroe.”(4) If it was me i wouldn’t write as much curse words in my writing. Be after reading Diaz’s work i would like to write like him and how he writes to catch the audiences eyes.  I believe in superstitions, even when my grandparents told me about the superstitions in Poland I would always listen closely to what they were saying. But the way Diaz described ‘fuku’ by asking who killed JFK and were the curse of the Kennedy’s came from and  talking about his family’s personal ‘fuku’ experience. This help me believe that other people believed in the same thing. I like how he didn’t really put much thought into using academic words but as if he was talking to a friend about it.