Hey everyone– if you missed weds class, please see the assignment sheet below! It describes the final paper. Please note, I have changed the final deadline– it’s due Dec 10th now!

I know there’s been some confusion about what I am asking you to do. Here’s the deal: pick a piece of art (a song, a video, a painting, a story) that is important to you, that has moved you in some way. Eventually, you will write a paper on it– you don’t have to decide exactly what you are going to do yet. But today in class, we talked about genres of writing about art: personal essays, essays that argue a point (“This is America is the New Face of Protest Music”) Video Essays, even Science-y essays (the one about mirror neurons and dancing.) You can write in any of these genres. If you DO write a personal essay, as Abdurraquib did, remember that you want it to be interesting to your audience, not just to yourself!

I told you we were going to do a concrete scene for homework, but I misspoke. We’ll do that in class on Weds. For homework, I’d like you to fill out the SOAPSTone worksheet (below) about your piece of art. This means you need to choose your artwork!!

Who is the SPEAKER_ What do we know about this person_ How do we know it_