Haider Mahmood

Buzz Feed

English

The slang word “jawn,” originated in Philadelphia around 1990 (according to the dictionary), made its way through different states changing meaning as it traveled, and made its way all the way to the dictionary. The word “jawn, has many different meanings predominantly depending on the context and location where it is being used. In Philadelphia, “jawn” is used to refer to almost anything. It can be used to refer to inanimate objects, and most things that surround people. In New York however, jawn is often used to call someone attractive. In the Oxford dictionary the word “jawn,” is defined as such “Used to refer to a thing, place, person, or event that one need not or can’t give a specific name to.” The dictionary defines the slang word “jawn,” based on its meaning in Philadelphia even though the word holds more than just one definition. The word “jawn” has become more interesting to as I studied its meaning and its origin. At first, I didn’t have any knowledge of its roots, I just heard it be used by my friends. Upon further research I discovered many meanings of this one word which made it interesting. Because the word “jawn” is used to so often in Philadelphia, it fascinates me how people can know what one is talking about when the word refers to anything. As for how it’s used in New York, I believe the word can’t have a better definition because it’s a private way male or females can show interest in someone without feeling uncomfortable.

I interviewed a Brooklyn College sophomore about her knowledge and experience with the word “jawn.”

Haider: Have you ever heard someone use the word jawn or ever used it yourself? Have you heard people use it to refer to an object like they do in philly or to call someone attractive like they do in New York?

Sara: All the time in high school, students in my class would use it mostly to call females attractive because they felt comfortable using slang. I’ve never heard someone use jawn the way they use it in philly which is surprising.

Haider: How do you feel about the word “jawn” starting off as slang and make it into the official dictionary?

Sara: I feel like that’s a great choice because that just shows that even words people create for fun can end up in a great spot.

Haider: What do you think about the definition in philly and New York?

Sara: Its really cool to see that 2 different places can have two meanings.

I also interviewed a Kingsborough senior about her knowledge, and experience with the word “jawn.”

Jarin: I went to a high school that didn’t really use any slang words. Here at Kingsborough I heard someone say jawn, unfortunately I didn’t know what it meant but now that you explained what it means it makes a lot more sense.

Jarin: That’s great! It gives people like me who don’t know much slang a chance to understand what others mean when they use slang.

Jarin: That’s really confusing. I thought slang words usually have one definition but if anyone wants to learn both definitions they can.

Citation Page

Weiner, E. S. C., and J. A. Simpson. “The Oxford English Dictionary.” The Oxford English Dictionary”, Clarendon Press 2018.