Living Lab General Education Seminar

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• If my students are information literate....

Nora Almeida
    Participant

at the end of my class, they can….

identify gaps in research
    independently research new concepts and terms
    how to use databases (peer review)
    citation / attribution
    contribution of original thought: combining ideas from research & student ideas
    not be afraid to ask insightful questions: ownership over creativity / inquiry
    know when inquiry is needed: nuances of information retrieval (timing)
    research doesn’t happen in a vacuum (practice)
    tools and appropriate application / rules
    credible sources
    self expression / effective communication (public)
    aggregation and analysis
    recognize (hidden) bias
    combine classroom knowledge and new knowledge

Rodlyn
    Participant

Feb 26 – Open Pedagogy – Post it notes

If my students are information literate …….

1. Develop new, effective systems

2. Students can find (know that they should look for) information that challenges the thesis/ideas presented.

3. Not be scared to ask questions and seek the right resources to find the answers.

4. Recognizing when information is needed, especially at the bedside/ while interacting with their (patient/client/members) like a diabetic teaching session – how to address the patient’s needs related to gaps of knowledge.

5. a. Assess critically what candidates in elections present as part of their programs to get elected.
    b. Be able to find out hidden biases (sexism, racism, and homophobia) in news/articles, other mass media.

6. Analyze financial statements

7. a. Research databases for peer-review articles and cite/reference APA.
    b. Understand the difference between original thought contribution and “borrowing” other authors’ ideas and passing off as their own because they wrote in their own words.

8. At the end of my class they can combine what they learned with what they want to know (application on further knowledge)

9. The students will be able to develop interactive skills on a professional level. It will also give them the opportunity to be a more diverse student base

10. Follow through with expectations and develop questions and critique.

11. Students can recognize relevant “negatives” — that is, in a report of an experiment, what important things have not be reported/did not get observed/did not happen.

12. Formulate a thoughtful argument

13. Understand the profession and evaluate opportunities in the field.

14. Question authority in a constructive manner.

15. Proactively seek out answers to knowledge gaps in everyday life through a variety of internal research methods.

16. Became a part of a more broad community.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.