LIB/ARCH2205 Learning Places

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• 11.2.16 Response 4

Nora Almeida
    Participant

Visit the NYPL Digital Map collection, choose a map and evaluate it using the criteria listed under “Who Made this Map and Why?” link on the GMU Making Sense of Maps website.

Victor Ramirez
    Participant

NYPL Digital Collection

I found this interesting map from the NYPL Digital Collection. It shows a magnified portion of the streets of Brooklyn. It does not have an orientation (North arrow), scale or legend. It contains a title and a grid that are used to advertise the properties for sale.
    Who made this map and why?
    Author: Miller & CO. (Lithographer)
    Publisher: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
    Place of Publication: New York
    Date: Date Issue: 1836 (Questionable)
    Audience: General public interested in purchase and sale of property. Map Title “Executors Sale of Property Belonging to the Estate of Jordan Coles, decd. : situate in the 6th Ward of the City of Brooklyn, by Jas. Bleecker & Sons on Thursday, 2nd June 1836, at 12 o’clock at their Sales Room, No. 13 Broad St.”
    Origin: The map was published in 1836 with the purpose of advertising properties for sale. My assumption is that many copies were printed.
    Context: The map is more than a century old. It depicts some streets in Brooklyn that still have their original names. The area where the properties were sold back in 1836 is today known as the Brooklyn Heights neighborhood.
    Citation
    Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1836). Executors Sale of Property Belonging to the Estate of Jordan Coles, decd. : situate in the 6th Ward of the City of Brooklyn, by Jas. Bleecker & Sons on Thursday, 2nd June 1836, at 12 o’clock at their Sales Room, No. 13 Broad St. Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47db-b022-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99
    http://historymatters.gmu.edu/mse/maps/

sotir zhupa
    Participant

The map which caught my attention and which I chose from the NYPL Digital Maps Collection is a map of green-wood cemetery drawn in 1850. The map lays out the roads, hills, lakes and entrances of green-wood as they were in 1850.
    Author: Boyle, Edward (Surveyor) and Sarony & Co (Lithographer)
    Publisher: Lith. of N. Sarony
    Date: 1850
    Audience: I believe the intended audience for this map is for regular people visiting the cemetery. I think this is the case because it is simply showing us the roads of how to get around the cemetery and where you can enter or leave from.
    Source of Date: Not sure…
    Origin: This map was produced in 1850 in New York by Lith. of N. Sarony, by the looks of it, it is a map that was hand drawn and limited amounts were made because of it close attention to detail.
    Context: I am sure that the map is quite accurate and shows most of the same hills and entrances but according to my brother, who works in green-wood cemetery, alot of the roads that are on this map have been closed and new roads have been opened.
    Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1850). Green-wood cemetery Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47da-ee14-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Noorul Ain
    Participant

The map that grabs my attention in NYPL Digital maps collection was “Plan of Bay Ridge Parkway”. This map grab my attention because it looks different from other maps. It shows the plan of Bay Ridge Parkway from 1st Avenue to Fort Hamilton Avenue. This map has scales on it. The map shows landscape and public driveways on Parkway.
    Issued Date: The map was issued in 1895.
    Publisher: This was published by Heliotype Printing Co.
    Place of publication: Boston
    Creator: Map was made by Olmsted and Eliot Brookline Mass.
    Origin: This map was issued in 1895 for Architects and builders.
    Assumption: The map shows the area of Bay Ridge Parkway with the scales on it and shows that where the Parkway road gets narrow and where it gets wider. I think, it was only for Architects who were working on developing and building Bay Ridge Parkway.
    The intended audience of this map was Architects because it was plan of Parkway so it should be for builders and Architects who were building or developing the Bay Ridge Parkway, Or people who are interested in the urbanization of Bay Ridge Parkway.

Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1895). Plan of Bay Ridge parkway. Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/c6da6d9e-4b37-b1c0-e040-e00a18060bfb

Nagisa
    Participant

Publisher: Colton, Ohman & Co.

Date: 1901

Audience: This map was created for tourists who stayed in the Albemarle Hotel. I think that the hotel wanted to attract their customers and support their customer’s travel in New York City, so they created this map.

Source of Data: No information

Origin: The map was printed by Colton, Ohman & Co.

Context: According to the title of map, this map includes tourists’ directory to business houses, public buildings, principal churches, places of amusement. Also, the map shows elevated railroads, electric car lines, compressed air car lines, and ferry connections. I compared this map with Google Map, this map is almost identical to the current map of Manhattan.

Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. The Albemarle Hotel map of Manhattan, New York City : with index of streets and strangers’ directory to business houses, public buildings, principal churches, places of amusement, etc. etc. Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e4-736d-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Richard Lok
    Participant

Author/Publisher – Bernard Ratzer/Samuel Stiles
    Place of publication – Brooklyn, NY
    Date – 1767
    Audience – The intended audience was anyone who wants to see what landmarks and areas were originally named and located in Brooklyn 1767.
    Source of data – The map was originally based on surveys provided by Bernard Ratzer. Published in the book “History of the City of Brooklyn” Vol 1 by Samuel Stiles.
    Origin – Drawn by Samuel Stiles
    Context – Maps of Brooklyn created before this one weren’t as detailed. Since this map is based on data off surveys, it’s obvious it’s more accurate and point on. Comparing with future maps, Brooklyn has expanded with more infrastructures such as more building and the construction of more roads/streets.
    Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1767). Plan of the town of Brooklyn and part of Long Island. Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/871fda48-ba46-c1d9-e040-e00a18064c0a

neil85
    Participant

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/b518d510-35d3-0131-1339-58d385a7bbd0
    ————————————————
    This map caught my attention because I wanted to see if the layout of Queens changed in any way since the World Fair. I recently found about the World Fair in City Field, Queens and was surprised that such a huge event was held in Queens. I always wondered what that huge structure in City Field was so I had previously searched it up and found out that the World Fair was held there before. I believe this map was published by Geo.U.Harvey Pres.Borough of Queens. It was created to promote the World Fair 1939 to 1940 and show people where the site is and how to get there. The intension of this map was not primarily for navigation but mostly to give people an idea of where the World Fair is and its vicinity to all the highways and streets.

Author/Publisher – Geo.U.Harvey Pres.Borough of Queens (not sure since NYPL site did not say)

Place of Publication – Queens, New York.

Date – 1939 to 1940

Audience – This map seemed to have been created to promote the World Fair in NYC for 1939 to 1940. It may have been a worldwide advertisement for the World Fair since the World Fair was intended for people around the world. It was also created to show how accessible it would be since it is close to all the major highways, airports and public transportation.
    Source of Data – Since this was most likely published by the Pres.Borough of Queens, the information for the map would have been sourced from the City Register.

Origin – This map was probably mass-produced since it seems to be an advertisement but, at the bottom it states that it was drawn by M. Jaller and it was the proposed site so maybe it was not reproduced.

Context – The map was created to promote an event and the main purpose is to show streets and transportation. Some of the street names and places are different from what exists today.

Map citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1939 – 1940). World’s fair New York. World’s fair New York 1939 1940. Proposed World’s fair site. Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/b518d510-35d3-0131-1339-58d385a7bbd0

Victoria Cotis
    Participant

http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/510d47e2-63a5-a3d9-e040-e00a18064a99

Title: Topographical atlas of the city of New York, including the annexed territory showing original water courses and made land.
    Publisher: E.L. Viele
    Date:1874

I’m interested of this map because this map need 5 sheets to make one map of Manhattan and The Bronx. This map shows all the water courses of Manhattan and The Bronx. Also it shows street named and numbers of street each block to identify them.

Bryan Ortiz
    Participant

The map that I found in the NYPL digital collection was called “Long Island: an interpretive cartograph”. This map shows all of Long Island, giving each small area a little pictures of each place. It stuck out to me because it shows the character that each part of Long Island has. The map doesn’t have a scale, but has a cartoon-ish landscape.
    Author/ Cartographer:Richard Scarry
    Publisher: Holiday Magazine 1947
    Date Issued: 1947
    Place: Indianapolis
    Audience: I think it’s for people who wish to have an overview to visit Long Island. It can also be for younger audiences so those who live in Long Island to learn about the island.
    Origin: The map was made in 1947 and was mostly printed to be in many copies, as it was published by a magazine.
    Citation: Retrieved from Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1947). Long Island: an interpretive cartograph Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/60643b7a-74c4-30e3-e040-e00a180601b8

SIN FONG CHIU
    Participant

Title Map of the borough of Manhattan and part of the Bronx showing location and extent of racial colonies
    Author: Ohman Map Co
    Publisher:
    Library locations
    Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division
    Date: 1920
    I loved this map. It recorded the changing of racial colonies in Manhattan and Bronx. Chinatown used to be full of Russian, polish and other JEWS. Irish people took over mid-west in Manhattan The map shows how people chose the location to live in 1920 based on their racial. However, a major of the map recorded that people were living in mix racial, which means that New York was a diverse city since 1920

Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. “Map of the borough of Manhattan and part of the Bronx showing location and extent of racial colonies.” The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1920. http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/b64407eb-3d17-c912-e040-e00a1806617d

Maryse Maurice
    Participant

The “1863, West Point”, a map from the New York Public Library digital collection. it shows aerial view of West Point, the Hudson river. It shows forts, roads, and locations of existing buildings. Oriented with north toward the upper right.
    Title: West Point
    Author: Barnard, William S., (Engraver)
    Publisher: D. Van Nostrand, 1811-1886
    Place of Publication: [New York,] NY
    Date Issued: 1863(inferred)
    The “West point” is a military map. It most likely taken for historical purposes. A way to figure out what was there in 1863 and how it will look like in the future. And also a way to kind of judge, if at some points anything happen to the place. The map will be a reference for research.
    Origin: this map was published in 1863. The history of West Point.

Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1863). 1863, West Point Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/8f6d6670-2a6f-0134-96dd-00505686a51c

Nora Almeida
    Participant

Excellent job with your cartographic analysis! Really interesting selection of maps / time periods reflected in these responses. Great work with audience and context in particular!

Steven Baculima
    Participant

Title: Central Park

Author/Publisher: Bachmann, John

Place of publication: 76 Nassau St

Date Issued: 1863

Audience:
    The audience for this map would have to be the people who really want to see an artistic view of central park with color in a bird eye view to take in the entire landscape and get details of some architecture.

Citation:
    Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1863). Central Park Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/b7ffda3a-6dda-8a57-e040-e00a1806061d

Deven Guerrero
    Participant

Title:Map of Woodlawn Cemetery

Publisher: The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division

Date: 1870

Type of resource: Cartographic

Audience: This map was built to give the first ever overview of the cementary of Woodlawn in the Bronx, New York. This map gives you an idea of what’s inside besides tombstones, like the receiving tomb, and entrance lodge. Because pilgrims settled around this area and due to how big the cementary is, this map was very useful for them to explore it.

Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. “Map of the Woodlawn Cemetery.” The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1870. http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/a6a42f20-f94a-0130-073e-58d385a7bbd0

Jesus Mendoza
    Participant

Title:Map of Newtown Creek and Vicinity

Author/Publisher: Dept. of Health

Place of Publication: Brooklyn

Date: January, 1896

Audience: This map was created for the use of sanitation within the city. The intended audience were the sanitation engineers within the city of Brooklyn. It was designed in order to pinpoint the location of multiple factories and sewers within the area.

Source of Data: Primary Source

Origin: Published in Greenpoint, Brooklyn

Context: This map was drawn and fits in with early designs and other drawn maps of the time.

Citation: Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division, The New York Public Library. (1896). Map of Newtown Creek and vicinity Retrieved from http://digitalcollections.nypl.org/items/6117a7c1-0324-d714-e040-e00a18062523

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.