HMGT1101_S2020_Goodlad

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

• NY Times, 36 Hours Weekly Discussion April 21

Prof. Karen Goodlad
    Participant

We will continue to read and discuss the NYTimes 36 hours articles. However, instead of an in-class discussion, students will be asked to make one post of 150 or more word and reply to one other post with an additional 100 word reply. When writing your post, consider what you know about assessing a tourism experience, write about the regional cuisine, activities, culture, transportation, lodging and price value.

The tread will be written within this Discus Topic Forum and NOT as a blog post. The student must post before 8:30am on the day it is due. This will be a student discussion board, though I will be reading, I may or may not post or reply. This discussion is considered the “shared reading” for the course and is worth 10% of the course grade.

For April 21 we will read and discuss the article about Milwaukee posted on October 10, 2019 https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/10/travel/what-to-do-36-Hours-in-Milwaukee.html

Pemba Dolma
    Participant

Milwaukee seems a mostly historical place where one can explore and gain history-related experience of the place. The author has described the location very well and provided full of information in detail. For the attraction site, there is the national bobblehead hall of fame and museum that has a collection of bobbleheads and features exhibits related to the history of bobbleheads, Basilica of Saint Josaphat that includes the ornate, white marble pulpit and the dazzling gold leaf-covered Baldacchino above the high altar, Kosciuszko Park, Model home showpieces, buildings related to local history and old structure ancient buildings, and lobby of Hyatt Regency which has remained as historical events to explore. Food is something that needs to be considered when people visit new places. In this article, the author has ideally provided great information about the restaurant that offers varieties of dishes and drinks visitors can experience. For example, Old World Serbian restaurant offers traditional dishes served with potato dumplings and signature burek, a flaky pastry filled with beef or cheese or spinach. Also, Milwaukee’s one of the cozy restaurants called “The Original” serves both traditional and contemporary dishes. They serve every item pairing with drinks. A cozy bar at random offers the home of specialty drinks such as ice cream drinks, desserts, and cocktail drinks. The hotels are located within walking distance from the attraction sites so the visitors can access easily. Price seems fair enough and it is worth spending on food, beverage and lodging services. This place doesn’t offer much adventurous fun activity so from my perspective, I believe it is great for the journal traveler and less for the leisure traveler.

kelvin
    Participant

Milwaukee has a lot of different kind of things that apply to different kinds of tourists I think it will still be a great place to visit depending on what you intend to get out of your trip. If you’re a religious traveler heading over there to see the Basilica of Saint Josaphat Makes for a good and short trip especially if you already live in the states you won’t have to go to somewhere like Rome to still see a beautiful church. Milwaukee also has a lot of beers and breweries so that and the cool and quirky bobble-head museum would be a perfect trip for millennial’s. Milwaukee is an affordable, historical, and fun place to travel to, If you want to see beautiful churches and look at old historical mansions or a cool modern bobble-head museum alongside having some locally crafted beer Milwaukee is the perfect place to go.

Destiny Kinloch
    Participant

Milwaukee is a great, small historical place to visit because of its’ various attractions. They have a streetcar line that takes people where they want to go. The streetcar can take people to the Milwaukee Public Market to get their local foods or to the Milwaukee Museum to view the famous artwork. There’s another museum called the National Bobblehead Hall Of Fame and Museum that people can visit for $5.00. The Bobbleheads in this museum are sports stars and movie casts. While visiting Milwaukee it’s better to have a car because you can drive across the Daniel Hoan Memorial Bridge to get to the Bay View neighborhood. People can go to that neighborhood to learn about the history of Milwaukee. They have a restaurant in this neighborhood where you can try the traditional dishes. Near that restaurant is a bar that looks like a museum. People can drive along Interstate 94 to see the Basilica of St. Josaphat. It’s a famous part of the skyline and across from this is a breakfast, lunch and dinner restaurant. This is a very cheap place because majority of the things costs only $2.00. Then you can experience Milwaukee’s beautiful public parks by taking a stroll by the big pond. There’s also a restaurant named “The Original” that sells dishes that are paired with a cocktail, wine or beer. Milwaukee has a hotel named The Ambassador Hotel where the rooms start at around $80.00. They have a cafe, restaurant and cocktail bar. But if you want a hotel that is near the city landmark then stay at the Hotel Metro. The rooms start at $128.00 and has valet parking. Overall I think this is an amazing place to visit and you can learn so much from the various historical landmarks they offer.

Destiny Kinloch
    Participant

I agree with Kelvin because Milwaukee can appeal to many different people depending on what you want to get out of your trip. But I think there are so many historical landmarks so if someone is really into just learning about various places then Milwaukee is a place to go. They offer many different things in different forms that keep people intrigued because it is so much going on. Also I agree with the fact that the Bobblehead Museum can be for millennials. They can find it cool so that means this can be a trip not just for adults.

Pemba Dolma
    Participant

Kelvin, you are absolutely right that Milwaukee has so many things to offer for various types of travelers. In my point of view, this place seems interesting as religiously, historically, and culturally. If someone likes to explore and gain some new experience, it is perfect. As you mentioned, local beer crafts and breweries where visitors can enjoy along with historical site attraction which I think is cool. In fact, they offer varieties of food and beverages in a way that visitors can have a different experience. Overall, I like the place as one can get an opportunity to learn and experience something different as the place offers.

Demetrius
    Participant

Milwaukee is a historically rich state which can be seen in the museums and the fine architecture throughout the city. The atmosphere is generally on the more relaxed side which is due to the fact that the population is just over 600 thousand. Many of the activities revolve back to the rich historical culture, the two attractions that stood out to me was the National Bobblehead Hall of Fame and the Hyatt Regency where once stood the Gilpatrick hotel where Theodore Roosevelt was shot just outside. Getting around seems easily accessible by either foot or by trying out the new streetcar system. There are many restaurants that offer a range of food for relatively reasonable prices, in addition Milwaukee seems to have an endless supply of bars scattered through town, there is even a bar named after the popular catch phrase used by the locals, Drink Wisconsinbly Bar. Overall lodging is fairly cheap, I recommend traveling to Milwaukee it is a great place to explore the cities historical sites and culture.

Mariame Traore
    Participant

I agree with Demetrius about Milwaukee being a “historically rich state”. Throughout the city not only in museums you will find a piece of history. The restaurants also serve food that you’re able to share for a reasonable price. The Airbnb lodging is really cheap; you can get a lively neighborhood experience for about $40 per night. I have seen the national bobblehead Hall of Fame in many movies without knowing that it was located in Milwaukee. This attraction makes Milwaukee very unique. Overall I believe that you can get a great experience from going to Milwaukee while learning it ‘s history.

Mariame Traore
    Participant

Milwaukee is a small city located in Wisconsin. It’s a great place to visit because history is incorporated in almost everything. You can get around the small city by taking the street cars. I would recommend spending 36 hours in Milwaukee. You can go to the public market which has many foods from local vendors. Milwaukee was once called the cream state.You can visit the random bar that has a cozy vibe and sell ice cream drinks. If you like ice cream and drinks this place is for you. You can drink and relax. For someone who is more religious you can join the Sunday service at the Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church. For someone interested in art, why not visit the Milwaukee Art Museum which has been labeled the most beautiful repositories in the art world.You can also go to three Brothers restaurants that sell very filling meals we can share for about $20. You can get a flaky pastry filled with beef cheese or spinach. This meal is vegetarian friendly if you get the spinach. For a lively neighborhood experience you can stay at an Airbnb for about $40 a night. I recommend Milwaukee because it can appeal to different people with different interests.

Jessica
    Participant

Milwaukee is a smaller city, but has a lot to offer. From visiting a unique bobblehead museum filled with figurines from popular TV shows and movies, to eclectic dining in Siberian cuisine inspired restaurants- there are a lot of fun activities to do here that can be done in a short amount of time. The city is comparable to the city of Philadelphia, in the sense that both cities can be a great weekend getaway. It is ideal for those who are looking to spend a weekend to experience a different city without having to go far within the city to experience good dining and fun bars. Lodging is considerably inexpensive compared to other cities, as a room in the central part of the city goes for around $130, and renting an AirBnb can be as low as $35 a night.
    I would recommend this destination for families or couples that are looking to spend some time away from their everyday lives.

Jessica
    Participant

Hi Demetrius.
    I agree that lodging seems fairly inexpensive in this city, which in my opinion, makes it a perfect destination for families. The architecture and skyline are unique which makes tourists more inclined to explore. The bobblehead museum stuck out to me as well. I have never heard of this museum, and actually spent some time researching the museum itself. The city, while quaint, seems like a fun weekend getaway, and would be fun for anyone to experience.

Milwaukee a city in America that not only has a bizarre name but it is a bizarre city filled with countless activities to do. The most bizarre thing to do is to explore a bobble head museum different figures of celebrities or statues and more as bobble heads. If museums are not your thing taking a stroll in the park might be Kosciuszko Park is a wonderful park trail filled with beautiful foliage for anyone who enjoys the outdoors. If museums and the outdoors are not your thing you can always try exploring the Basilica of Saint Josaphat a giant beautiful cathedral where you can marvel the art within. Perhaps being a homebody at a hotel will fit you most so staying at a the Hotel Metro will be your thing not only so many landmarks are close by it lodging is only about $128 a night. Now on to the food who knew Milwaukee can be so drink heavy probably not fun for a light weight but for those who like a fine drink can explore many bars and restaurants and even the Mansion of the Beer Baron.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.